Utricularia fulva

noonamah, Australia

I've got an old enamelled cast iron bath tub that's got wateplants in it. Water runs in and overflows. I put some sandy soil along the edges which is constantly wet from the overflowing water. It's in this area I put some Utricularias. Unfortunately one of the neighbours dogs has come by and taken a bath, upsetting the whole set up. It's done it a few times so finally I put up a fence around the tub. A couple of Utricularias have come up but the flowers have dwarfed. Very difficult to get a decent photo. Ended up putting a piece of cardboard close behind the plants so the camera would get a proper focus. Only partly worked for the U. fulva, the others didn't come out well at all. But good to know the plants seem to have survived the 'dog attacks'. I see bits of U. gibba so hopefully it will also make a come back.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice! Someday I have to try those.

noonamah, Australia

Tommy, there's some better photos here. Had a better camera then.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224314/

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

tropicbreeze
Wow the flower is very Orchid like.

noonamah, Australia

A lot of people compare them to Oncidium. They're probably one of the most beautiful Utricularia, helped a lot by their larger size than most others. Hopefully with dogs fenced out I'll end up with something more like the photos in the earlier thread.

I did put some U. involucra in there as well, which is all yellow, and a blue one, can't quite remember but might be U. arnhemica. The combination of colours should look good. So I'm hoping they'll all come through.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Oncidium is the first one I thought of.

Beverly Hills, CA

God, U. fulva is a great plant. I wish I had one. Saw a beautiful one on display at California Carnivores a few months ago.
Lucky you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.