Trade from USA to Brazil?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I would've posted this in the international forum, but it seemed like just a big want list over there. I have been contacted by someone in Brazil that is requesting a trade. The plant they want is called a vick's plant. My question is, can I send that there? I have looked online without much luck on the legality of it. Of course, the other person says it's fine, but I'd like a second opinion. This is my first international trade, so I am unsure. Thanks for any help.

Erin

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Call your local Ag. agent - he will tell you if it's legal or not.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if they'll know or not though. I'm sure they'd know from state to state, but country to country is another story. Have to check Monday.

Erin

Here's what you need - has contact information for any questions:

http://www.usdabrazil.org.br/home/information-for-tourists.asp

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you. I'll look through it more thoroughly in a bit.

Erin

Come back and let us know - I am interested, too!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have sent and recieved seeds from Brazil.......rain lilies and amaryllis seeds.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Still haven't researched this. :/ This guy wants a plant/cutting not just seeds. That's my hesitation.

Erin

(Zone 7a)

Personally I would send him the cuttings...I use stamps.com and send these types of things for $3-5 and it's really simple. I also put on the custom form what's in the box. I then tell the person "I will not be held responsible if your package is confiscated". I use a self stick label and it prints from my printer and I send the a USPS Customs Label Number. Takes all of 3 minutes and then to package the plant, seeds, cuttings.

But tell him No, if you are not comfortable with sending.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the help Kim. I think I will try the trade, but at their risk of it being confiscated. It seems likely to me that the plants wouldn't get through customs, but who knows. I just didn't want to get in trouble for sending plants to another country. I have no idea if it could be invasive there. I know it's trying to take over my porch in the pot it's in! :)

Erin

(Zone 7a)

You wont get in trouble and depending on how your package looks... It will not even be questionable to be opened by customs. In the 10 years that I have been sending plants/and or seeds overseas. I have never had 1 package opened. I had one package confiscated back in 2005 and it was mailed to me. The contents were seeds. And I got the package... And inside of it was a note 'contents removed and burned'.. Something like that.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Is there something special I need to do when packaging it to make it look non-threatening? I have to mark the outside with what's on the inside, so I figured it wouldn't really matter.

Erin

(Zone 7a)

I would use this...more then enough cutting should fit in a 1 inch thick box. Every post office has them unless you have something similar.

Thumbnail by Kim_M

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.