We have a new arrival from a rescue shelter!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That tee shirt that says "Rescues are the best breed" is a winner with us!

This is our new boy, a 3 year old eleven pound Havanese, with a ton of allergies and medical issues.

We lost Harry, a Lhasa Apso, at almost 15 years old, back in May. I realized if we waited until we didn't miss him anymore we might never have another dog so we went to the shelter (where we got Harry) and took home our new arrival after we were interviewed and they contacted our vet to make sure we were qualified to be adoptive parents.

So far he's been a happy and loving pet (enjoying car and truck rides) but he is not used to asphalt streets or walking on them and heads for the grass. He reacts as though it hurts his tender paws. He also hasn't been trained to use the great outdoors for his personal needs and poops on the bedroom floor. I've taken the poops and the pup to the dog pen to show him where we'd like him to go. He also hasn't barked but the need hasn't come up either.

He was in the rescue shelter since June 13th and in a previous shelter for the three weeks prior to that. He was picked up as a stray and my heart can't take the thought that someone let him go out without tags and no phone calls to locate him.

Any ideas on how to help him through this transition period? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thumbnail by pirl
This thread has 346 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!