waited four years for red bloom?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well here"s one my big fails,waited 4 years to see this bloom red as the first bloom appeared today,the plants dwarf like stella'd'oro with blooms about 3 times larger,nice big bloom size I like though; only with a phssst,and yick. What a bummed out dissapointment.

not really a good pick either,oh well.

Thumbnail by juhur7
(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

What is the name of the daylily

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have no idea? It is a NO I.D. Hybrid

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a lot of parent plants of plants that have already been hybridized, I am not a pro so this could one of yours one mine or anybodies. Grandma really liked it and it has a nice fluorescence about it in evening light. I just expected to much after such a long wait to see the bloom.
here's a better pic.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi There

Are you saying you pollinated a daylily plant and this was a seedling? Am a little confused.

Thanks!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

YES That is what I am saying. I tried several pollinating crosses this season recently also.Only like as before, mostly those pollinating attempts are from plants that have already been cross pollinated and named by someone previously.
The only seed pods have developing are the parent plants of peach's and dreams(?), it will be interesting to see what happens. Only a little backyard fun with the flowers!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

So I take it you were expecting the flower to be red??? You won't necessarily get what you think you should get. I have crossed 2 purples and got a white flower or two pinks and got yellow flowers.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi...I was going to say the same thing as Cindy. There is a whole lot of research to be done when it comes to hybridizing genetics, but a whole lot of fun to be a backyard hybridizer! Keep plugging along but don't be taken aback at what you get....it's part of the game, the anticipation of seeing what your efforts produce!

Warners, NY

Join the group-----------I planted a couple hundred rosea seeds in the Fall of 2009 and they bloomed this Summer---yellow. melon, orange, sherbet orange----three to four feet high and all sorts of spiders. What did I do wrong???1----------Weedy The self seeders like this looked better!

Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A little like ordering a ham and cheese and sure enough,you get a Chef's salad!!

Well at least they are a good surprise!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Low and behold not only was it not what I waiting for it is a rebloomer!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That's a great bonus for sure!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.