Favorite new conifers

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I recently picked up two new small conifers to add to the collection. The first is Picea orientalis Tom Thumb, the second is Chamaecyparis obtusa Gold Fern.

Thumbnail by granitegneiss Thumbnail by granitegneiss
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Nice! They sure look good in that fresh soil and well placed rocks. I think out of the 2 I like the Gold Fern the most.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hi wynne - keep tom in some shade - i'm on my second one now and have moved it once already as it got more sun than i thought it would - it is a nice one one.

Thanks for the advice, Bill. How many hours, do you think? Right now it doesn't get shade until about 2:30

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

not sure wynne - the one i lost last year was partly my fault as i did not re-pot in good soil and i left it in full sun - this years plant received morning and late afternoon shade so maybe 6-7 hours of full sun and it slowly started to loss needles - i have it early morning sun and late afternoon sun now - looking at it from here i think i will be getting one more next year

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wynne i saw this on garden web after googling tommy - a guy was asking questions after killing a couple and these two responses might be helpful

My father was the originator of the 'Tom Thumb'. It is a broom from Skylands aka (Picea Orientalis Compacta Aurea). This plant is very difficult to grow. I have experienced great losses when planted in the ground at an early age. I now leave the root stock on as long as I can possibly tolerate and in a container until it is of a nice size for planting. Some have the RS left on 10 years. I just keep trimming off most of the branches of the RS leaving a few for growth. The plant does much better under this method. I have found that planting this cultivar in an open shade or partial shade is the best. I have found that it is best on the north or east side of a building and try to keep it out of the wind.
Not much more to say except very challenging.

Dave

Note that Dave is a DG member so you could d-mail him.

And this post from a different Dave.

I am a member of the ACS. As an active supporter I purchased mine in 2007 to help them promote the conifer of the year program. They offer several cultivars to choose from.
I purchased Picea 0.'Tom Thumb' and planted it under a Pinus paviflora as I knew it would need protection. In Kansas high temps and humidity will burn these young cultivars up. With the protection it is exposed to 4 hours of sun light a day. Although it seems healthy it has not performed well. I see a small amount of growth so we will see what next year brings.

Here's a photo of 'Tom Thumb' also of 'Skylands' which I acclimated for 2 years with 60-40 netting. This year it was on its own. The first one I burnt to a crisp in just 3 months here in Kansas City. Both shown here are in winter foliage.

Dave

If the one i have dies my next attempt would be to plant one where i have it now in a container with good soil where it gets mostly shade. Or find another koreana that is similar as i have had no issues with them at all.

Thanks, Bill, I think I should try some light fabric covering for awhile. It was indoors at the nursery so isn't used to sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.