July pictures and chit chat

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

It's been a busy month and a heat wave is in full swing. Stay cool, everyone! ;)

Kohleria 'HCY's Jardin De Monet'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Ingrid'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Peridots Rolo'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Bristol's Possibly Bronze' x 'Pink Shadows'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'An's Dice Dots'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Wild Razzleberry'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Some micro mini Sinningias with a quarter for scale:

First two pictures: S. pusilla, concinna and muscicola

Third picture: S. muscicola, sprouting tuber

Fourth picture: S. 'Mighty Mouse'

Fifth picture: S. 'Lil' Georgie'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And some more micro minis:

First picture: Part of the old fish tank that they're growing in

Second and third picture: S. 'Lil Georgie'

Fourth picture: S. concinna

Fifth picture: The "Mystery Micro" turned out to be S. pusilla in all likelihood

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

The micro mini species side by side:

S. concinna, muscicola, pusilla and pusilla 'White Sprite'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia eumorpha "Saltao" x piresiana

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia bullata

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Rosy Cheeks', 'Country Bumpkin' x 'HCY's Fairy Weather', 'Snowbird' x self and speciosa 'Donna'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Primulina tamiana, Primulina tabacum and Niphaea oblonga

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Some more Kohlerias:

K. 'Bristol's Possibly Bronze' x 'Pink Shadows', K. 'Ingrid', K. 'Strawberry Fields', K. 'Peridots Potlach' and K. 'Green Goblin'

Sanbornton, NH

Great pictures, Olaf! I hope the heat eases up soon

Earle

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Love the pictures Olaf!
Do you cover the fish tank the micros are growing in?
Lynn

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Awesome July flowers! my S. guttata keeps blooming (1) Some more exiting flowers are on the way (2) I've grown this plant from mixed gessie seeds and suspect it to be a Gloxinia speciosa. What surprises me most is her branching habit, there are a couple of secondary stems coming out with buds as well. And flowers will be another surprise to share.

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl

What beauties Maria! What is causing the leaf spots on S. guttata?

Lynn

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Lynn! well, the spots are all my fault, I took the plant outside and she got sunburn the very first day... now she's well protected and happy again and keeps the new buds coming

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, everyone!

Lynn, the fish tank is covered. It was a whole kit (lid, light fixture etc.) that I found at a garage sale.

Maria, that S. guttata is holding up nicely! It's one of the Sinningias that you have to be a bit careful with when it comes to sun exposure. Their leaves get damaged easily by too much sun or too little water... Please keep us posted on the flowers of that speciosa seedling. That's always exciting. :)

Olaf

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 12:10 PM

Maria,
At least that won't do any real harm to your gorgeous plant!

Thanks Olaf. was wondering because so far I have Bright Eyes x self uncovered.
Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

You're welcome, Lynn! I have grown both S. pusilla and S. muscicola unenclosed and it's normally not a problem but grown enclosed, I water them maybe four or five times a year and they pretty much take care of themselves.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks guys, guttata is a pleasure to grow, so forgiving and eager to bloom. Glad you mentioned watering Olaf, will make sure she's not underwatered.

About mystery speciosa -- can't wait for those buds to open!

I can't either LOL.
Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Here's a little Kohleria-collage.

Top row: Kohleria 'Strawberry Fields', 'Bristol's Possibly Bronze' x Pink Shadows', 'Ingrid'

Bottom row: Kohleria 'HCY's Jardin De Monet', 'Peridots Rolo', 'Green Goblin'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow, great work Olaf and ready to print! gorgeous collection

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

The new sinns blooming!
1- Double Dilly and Silhouette
2-Country Tiger
3- Roxy

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Awful focus, lets try again

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Don't have much luck with these today.... well, maybe something else will look better. None of these are gessies but I thought it would be fun to post them

Maria,
They look great to me.Nice growing!
Lynn

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi everyone,another great month of blooming gessies, and the beautiful orchid! Wow!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks ladies. I'm about to take a short break and will be back soon. Stay cool!

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Came back for my morning drool .I want to grow them all.Thank you all for the awesome pictures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.