DH's new job

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Recently, precious my husband the mechanical engineer has taken up a new job. Formerly a design engineer with two major aircraft engine companies over the past these many years, he had the opportunity to work on wind turbines. He is working now on a new design for wind turbines and they have a test model out on Deer Island here in the Boston Harbor. I think it looks like a giant columbine, one of the frilly double ones. The whole purpose of this company is to make turbines that are more compact but generate as much power as the big propeller kind. We hope they get it right. The last picture is of PMH alongside the test turbine.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Cool job, Martha.

Thomaston, CT

Are they safer for birds?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Not sure. Today is only his third day at work. will ask him about it when he gets home. So far, they stand on a pylon with no perching places and the area of the working parts as you can see doesn't seem to lend itself to nesting birds. I think there have been studies about birds and windfarms. will have to look it up.
Martha

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

It does look like a flower! Congrats!

First glimps I thought I saw a fancy wheel, the ones on a car.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

cool

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.