Any ideas?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am a novice gardener who loves my lilies. I fight an ongoing battle with rabbits. I spray and cage almost all of them. I still loose a few. Now I find large stems have been chewed off at the base by the ground with a hole around the stem base. These lilies have been caged so it is unlikely rabbits. Is there something else I will need to fight? We sometimes have moles and chipmunks...could these be the problem? Do some of you use chicken wire to plant the bulbs in? Every day is a gardening challenge. Two weeks of over 100 degrees have fried most of my blooms as I planted most in sun. I thought they needed sun...guess I was wrong about that!!! Thank you to any one who might help me with this issue. I SO love lilies and they are so joyful in the garden. Lesley

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

If it is rabbits, voles, chipmunks or squirrels, I can help you.

Rabbits and voles avoid daffodils, because they are poisonous. But who wants huge strapping daff foliage? Try WP Milner, a miniature trumpet. Small unobtrusive foliage that disappears quickly. You don't need many. Don't cage your lilies. Put daffs around them.

Chipmunks cannot bear the smell of milorganite. They are only digging, like squirrels, because they think some other squirrel left something there. Sprinkle just a bit on your newly turned earth - I find you only have to do it once, and the chippies stop digging.

You didn't mention squirrels, but freshly ground black pepper, over any turned earth, does the trick.

OK?
Donna

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Donna. I so appreciate your quick reply. I will be off to get milorganite in the morning!! I will also plant your suggested daff this fall in hopes of better luck next year. I`m all for the small unobtrusive foliage...I have just about quit daffs due to the yucky foliage . I can be impatient at times!!! I am grateful for your knowledge....Happy Gardening and stay cool. It`s been over 100 degrees here for two weeks. Hope your weather is better. Lesley

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

If you want a great, small, and inexpwnsive daff, go to Brent and Becky's bulbs and order WP Milner, a miniature trumpet.

https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/?sku=01-1426

Only about 5 inches. And you don't need many. I find that 20 is far more than what I need for my whole yard.

I'm very happy to help. I lost so many bulbs and spent so much money on sprays before I found the really permanent solution of daffs. The bulbs stay there unless you dig them up.

It peaked at 108 here two days ago. It's better now. Happy gardening to you too!

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.