Is Krossa Regal sun-tolerant?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I had to move some plants out of the way of a tree that was coming down; krossa regal was moved to a spot I thought it would look great in, but it is in full sun, and with all the heat and drought this summer it isn't pretty...Should I move it to a shady spot, or hope it settles in?

Ottawa, Canada

Caitlinsgarden, my 'Krossa Regals' are all doing very well in shade. I've never tried them in full sun. From the sound of it yours would probably do better with some shade. Can you wait until fall to move it?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Mine has done good in about three hours of hot afternoon sun until this yr but we have had drought for over a yr and a half but it still does pretty good. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't have it, but if yours is in full sun and not looking pretty, a move would be in order. But I think it would likely be best to wait until late August or September. Can you provide some shade for it with something? And LOTS of water will help.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Probably a good idea to keep it from dying. (Shade, water and a move.) Maybe I will keep a small division where it is now and see what happens. Probably would have been smarter just to leave it where it was and let it come back when the limbs, etc. were all carted off the area.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

It would be interesting to try it a division there next year. Sometime, it takes a year for a hosta a acclimate and it does better the next year.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

It is supposed to be sun tolerant, but mine fried. None of the Blues do well in Full Sun, it melts the wax that gives it the blue color.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I think it's the move and not just the sun that is frying your 'Krossa Regal'. I actually moved a large 'Krossa Regal', 'Journey's End', and 'Paradigm' recently. All get a lot of sun, but the 'Paradigm' gets the most and a lot more in its new spot. It is very crispy now, because I didn't water it every day after the move. The hundred degree heat didn't help. Moving yours to a new spot will add more stress, but leaving it in the sun (even with extra water) is also causing it stress. You'll have to decide which is worse. 'Krossa Regal' can probably learn to take the sun where you put it, but just realize that the sun will burn off the coating that makes it blue.

For the record, here are the three plants I moved as of July 4th: 'Krossa Regal' (least sun), 'Journey's End' (between the other two), and 'Paradigm' (most sun). The last image shows the bed. They were all in the bed before, but I pushed them out into more sun to make room for 'Atlantis'. Oh yeah , I also moved 'Queen of the Seas' into the shade, because all its blue burned off this year.

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I moved my Queen of the seas also, it was pitiful. Hope it lives that's all, the burnt leaves are not attractive but moving it in this heat almost killed him. I also moved Climax, the only one that responded well to getting moved was Blue Ivory, that Hosta looks real happy. :) I'm so glad, I have moved it three times!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I've noticed a lot of crisp looking hosta planted in the sun as I drive around town. Most years they look fine. That's a good tip about the blue ones needing shade to stay blue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.