What is This

New Hampton, NY

For the past four years this lily sends out its buds Late May early June, but the deer devours them before flower emerges. This year I was determine to assist in the survival to see exactly what was behind the buds. I used deer defense, and it survived. I was so surprised at the size of the lily and the awesome aroma. I picked both flowers and placed them in a small vase of water. For seven continuous nights my entire living room was perfumed from sunset until sunrise. Anyone knows the name of this lily? I must have planted it some four years ago.

Thumbnail by Vivixant
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Tis the season for our lilies!! I'm not a lily expert by any stretch - you might do better going on Lily forum to get an ID http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/lilies/all/

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi there,

I have a hunch what your lily could be. Would it be possible to take photos of a side profile of the bloom as well as the plant it came from? A close up of foliage would be nice, too.

Thanks,
Ispahan

New Hampton, NY

Chantell thanks so much for the link, no luck there but I'll keep trying.

New Hampton, NY

Thanks Ispahan, here are the additional photos

Thumbnail by Vivixant Thumbnail by Vivixant Thumbnail by Vivixant
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Vi - hopefully someone can help you here then. May I just say that last photo is exceptional - just stunning!! I'd upload it to Plantfiles once you have an ID on that beauty

New Hampton, NY

Chantell would you believe it is still so firm and fragrant; I moved it to my bathroom so I can enjoy its scent while watching Leverage on TV. I hope I can ID it. Thanks for you kind comments.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Compliment well deserved - I love how long the lilies last for us!! I've asked my 'family' on the Mid Atlantic threads if they can peek over here and help you out http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261384/ ...also try the ID forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I can't help, but thanks for sharing. It's gorgeous.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I think it is the trumpet lily 'African Queen'.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

vivixant---

Please look into the Chinese Regale Lilies.
The shape of the bloom (pic. #2) looks similar. And--I know how fragrant they are.

Regale Lilies also grow on tall, wiry stems--about 4'-5' tall.
Does any of this fit? The fragrance is a dead giveaway for me....

I have the white ones "Alba" and the purplish-white ones.
I posted a picture of these somewhere--but be glad to show you again.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Vi - only posting links to help you out as it looks like you might have just signed up with Dave's Garden
Regal Lily http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1023/
trumpet lily 'African Queen http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80261/
Let us know if either of these is a match to your pretty...

New Hampton, NY

Hello All, I am new to this site, but I am thrilled, I feel as If I have found a new family all with a love for beauty of plants and flowers alike. Thanks for all the detective work that went into identifying one of my most precious fragrant loves. You all deserve a badge of honor for a job well done. Chantell, thanks for all those links, and yes! I am new to the site, Ispahan and Gena, by George you did it we have a name for that Orange beauty. I notice it is being grown as a house plant, you know for sure I will be moving it indoors. Saying good by to air fresheners.. Thanks!!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Vi - we've got a great bunch of folks here! The fragrant forum is always a welcoming bunch - we never tire of talking about the fragrant ones...plus it gives each of us new ideas of what our next treasure hunt will be for. There are lots of forums - I can't speak for all but I can the 'family' here and over at the Mid Atlantic - you're welcome there as well!! There's also a photography and pet forum in the event those are things you enjoy as well as your gardening.

New Hampton, NY

Thank you so much Chantell, you are kind and I know you speak for the whole "family" in the forum.
Vi

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

It's one of the new crosses, Trumpet and maybe Asiatic, they also crossed Trumpets and Orientals and those are called Ornipets, the petals have little raised nubs like orientals, that's usually how to determine which is which. African Queen is a solid orange. Go to B&DLilies.com for pix. Just love the fragrance on the trumpets, wonderful!!!!! Yes the Orientals are fragrant too but the easter lily types are my favs. and all the new X's they are making, some are fragrant and some aren't much at all..

this dwarf I grew from seed and is Lily formosa, got seed from Park's seed and took 2 or 3 years to begin bloom. Only get 6-8" and just a tad smaller bloom than the trumpets, again wonderful fragrance!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Pretty one, Kathy! I can smell it from here! My favorite is still 'Silk Road' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/108438/ Sadly she didn't come back after the 2nd year...on my 'must have' list to plant this fall though

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I believe that's one of those new ornipets. I shouldn't say new, that cross was made 10 years ago (ish). I just love lilies....I have many that have been in for years and years....Rarely do I ever get to see the blooms tho. I actually have had a few that were missed without chomp marks, lol......One day my kritter fence will keep unwanteds out of the garden.......PLEASE!!!!!!

Pix:Here's one that was missed Lilium pumilum at 18".

Hey that one above, check out the name Boogie Woogie, not sure, just a thought......

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Chantell, a pointer that might help...I put straight peatmoss in the bottom of the hole (about 10-12" deep). On top of that 2-3" of peat I place my bulb, then mix more peat with the next layer, and the top is just straight garden soil. I try to make my hole 12" wide depending on which type of bulb. The Asiatics and Tiger Lilies are a bit more vigerous and multiply quicker so the hole get bigger for those. It's fun to see a patch of lilies in the garden, just love it......

Oh another thing...if you have a problem with heavy soil that doen't drain so good causing bulbs to rot, ( the above mix is great but go deeper and add a layer of course sand for drainage......builders sand is course, play sand isn't and can cause problems.

Here's a pix of a newbie, Lilium parryl, got this spring and still need to look up info on it, lol....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm I didn't think of rot, Kathy...glad you mentioned that. Maybe that particular bulb is more prone to that as the other bulbs seem to have done just fine for years now...ugh. I use turkey grit to amend the soil - I will absolutely remember to include a good heap of that when I plant...thank you again.

Libby, MT(Zone 5b)

I agree about the rot. I have some Orinpet lilys that I dearly love. Silk Road. (the BEST!!) They moved with me from Idaho to Montana and are living in front of our home but under the roof overhang, without gutters. ugh! Anyway, the bulbs that stick out far enough to get too much rain pouring down on their spot ended up coming out sort of brownish looking with small rot spots on the flowers. The ones back a ways where they are protected by the overhang are perfectly fine. A few years ago I dug some of them up and was real glad that I did. Another season like that and there wouldn't have been anything left of the bulb to save. Anyway, yes, be sure you have decent drainage. The Orinpets are definitely worth growing. Very fragrant. Long lasting in the yard or vase and extremely beautiful. I also like the way the Silk Road faces outward instead of hanging downward. Much nicer for seeing their beautiful insides.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Really? Thanks Viv, now you got me hooked on Lily's...and the rest of you didn't help with your photo's either.

Viv, after you move it indoors, please collect seeds and please send me some. Please. Your photos were superb, the color of your little beauty is fantastic! I love awesome aroma, what more could a girl want?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.