Uff Da

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

How is everyone doing in this dry/hot weather? Seems like watering has become my full time job. No real rain in the forecast. I see corn futures climbing as the expected yield goes down. Just one more reason I am glad I am not, nor ever have been, a farmer.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I started to type in to this thread a while ago; my flowers are taking a beating and i never was a really good flower grower.
It has been, and is, at the moment the same with me, water this water that, seems endless without rain showers.At the moment it is trying to decide if it wants to rain or not. We need that rain badly.!
That 64 or so degrees for tonight is a welcome anyway, I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see that kinda of tolerable temperature ever again.
Well my little city garden won''t get me much more than meditation or self satisfaction but I have a good time with it or being there usually.
My grandfather on mom''s side was the farmer in my past.No one other became and that has been a while ago now.like 1930's and 1940''s the last time he was at it as a full time living.He did some into and through the 50's and 60's though.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

This last June set the record for the driest June ever here. I'm keeping up with all my house plants (almost 1000.) It is newly planted, young trees, vines that I am most worried about. Many looking very stressed even though I have been watering once or twice a day. OK, back out to water some more. I guess it beats dealing with snow and ice? I have weeds that are wilting. All the grass is brown except for a small patch (about 30 feet X 40 feet) by my back porch door where I sit. I have been watering that. The green, wet grass does make it seem cooler.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 12:31 PM

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a pondless waterfall that I am worried will go dry...the sound of the water does make it feel like a cool woodland garden. Problem is all the river rocks should be under water and are mostly out and looking parched. BUT TODAY IT RAINED AND LAST NIGHT IT RAINED --GOOD HEAVY POURING DOWN RAIN. I know that isn't the best kind for actually water needs -- runs off when it comes down that hard --- but it was still music to my ears.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Today marks 3 weeks of no rain and no real rain in the forecast, sigh.

I'm hoping some of that Chicago rain drifts a little south and we get some showers at least. Would be nice. Even the Japanese beetles hide out when it gets this hot. One rain barrel is already dry and the other two (joined together) are probably half gone. I'm watering tomatoes every other day with those but two poor tomatoes in pots have to be watered every day.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

It has rained several days in a row (whew!) We routed a gutter from the roof into the waterfall and pond and so it is nice and full now. The first day we had that good rain ---hubby didn't 'jiggle' the handle on the toilet tank and the well took a beating! Really if he would just 'listen' for it it could hear the 'thunk' of the rubber plunger thing sealing over the drain in the tank as it lowers back down after a flush. It isn't that big a problem but every year it seems to get stuck. He cleans the chain and then puts a little extra dish soap on the chain that drops the plunger and it works real good for a very long time- many months. He says he jiggles the handle each time 'out of habit' and apparently 'this is the THE ONE TIME HE FORGOT TO DO IT!' ha!!

Gas I hope you get rain soon..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Two good rains since May here. Everything is as dry as dust!

I'm glad some of you are getting rain though.As severe as it is here I am hearing it is much worse other places around the country. The news is almost frightning, what a disaster for some this all is.

Saw the headline from the Indianapolis Star this morning on the weather channel. I feel so bad for the family farmers and secondly, what it's going to do to the price of corn and its trickle-down effect on the price of everything else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.