Burn Pods

Dayton, OH

I have some nice big fat seeds pods from my daylilies, but the sun is burning some of my pods, and I don't know what to do to save them. Does anyone have any idea's on what to do to save the rest of my seed pods. Thanks

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

What do these look like that are being burned and how far along are they? If the pods are close to being ready, the scapes can be cut and placed in water until they ripen more. Karol Emmerich does this, here's her blog where she show this. http://springwoodgardens.blogspot.com/search?q=pods

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I have had pods that were looking good & then the scapes dried up for some reason the pods fall off, I just bought Black Hornet & the plant was a little small when I got it. I soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide & fertizler for 2 hours & after 2 weeks the plant looks dead but with very little green, I dug it up the plant & the roots are like mush. I pulled off the dead roots & only 3 little stubs of roots looks like they are alive, it's looks like a blade of grass buy I don't think it's going to make it. Does anyone have any idea why it didn't make it. The last 2 years I bought over $7.000 in daylilies & have not had this problum.

The scapes drying up is happening all over the place. Everyone on the AHS email robin has been talking about it and having the same problems. It more than likely has to do with the crazy weather everyone has had since the winter with it being mild then having spring temps then having cold temps and such. Another theory is the high solar activity going on and the radiation is higher than normal and has been affecting all types of plants. The farmers have been worrying about that.

The daylily that's not making it might have just been stress since it was small. If your temps have been hot then that can contribute to it rotting since it's stressed from shipping and being newly planted. Over watering a stressed plant (especially if the temps are hot) can cause this as well. Over fertilizing can contribute to rot. Also, crown rot fungus/bacteria could have been in the soil where you planted it and since it was stressed or had an opening (even if you can't see it) in the roots or crown somewhere it affected it. There are more than one type and one type needs an opening to get in and the other type doesn't. These bacteria/fungus are naturally in our soils or it could have come with the plant. Another thought on why this happens is that insects damage the crown and the rot gets in. Definetely do not replant anything in that area for a while or until it is treated with a fungicide for rot or straight bleach (some use a bleach/water solution).
Banrot, which is made specifically for rot fungus/bacteria, is the only thing I use on a rotting plant to try and save it. I have tried bleach but it doesn't always work.
The crown/roots really need to dry out good in a shady area after you soak it in whatever you use before you replant it again. Also, if there is any hint of rot then insects will get in and eat away and this is why the drying is important to make sure any openings have scarred over.

Even though you bought lots of daylilies before and it never happened doesn't mean it can't happen once and it may happen again. It can happen to daylilies that have been planted in the ground for years, they just up and start rotting. We have probably 2000-3000 daylilies at any given time here and the newer ones have been planted in the ground since early March and just recently we have had one or two try to start rotting. Heat and moisture (along with other factors) will help do this as well. That's why a lot of growers use K-phite during the summer where it gets really hot to help control the rot.

You can contact the seller and see if they have a replacement guarantee, some will replace them and others won't because of the issue of not knowing where rot comes from.

This is just MHO and I'm sure others have other suggestions as well.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 4:48 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I have some dried up scapes here too. A few fans here and there are not looking so good. Dug up and relocate a few that look like they were struggling. All in all I can't complain.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Michele..Thank you for the informatiom, There is one little blade of green on Black Hornet & I soaked it in hydrogen peroxide & it's still green but it is no bigger than a blade of grass. I don't think I will plant anything in this heat again.
Thank You. You sell nice big fans.

Dayton, OH

Thanks everyone for your advice, it's not the plant or scapes that are dying, it really looks like some of the seed pods are getting to hot from the sun, some of the pods have gotten black.

Thanks Roseycats

Riverview, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi Roseycats,

I actually had a seed pod dry and shrivel up a couple of weeks ago. I was a pod from a cross polination I did...just out of curiosity of what would happen since I'm new to the daylily world. It looked good for a couple of weeks and then I went out one day and it was totally brown and shriveld up. It could have been from the hot weather, but it also could have been because it was a new plant I had planted earlier this spring.

rherma,

What sounds like has happened to your pods is they aborted. They can actually get pretty big and if there is no viable seeds in them or say the the wrong pollen put on it (dip on tet or tet on dip) it will eventually abort. It usually happens in the first few weeks but can happen later on as well

Riverview, MI(Zone 6a)

Michelle, that's probably what happened. Good to know. Thanks!

Dayton, OH

Michele thanks for the information. I did try to cross pollinate some Daylilies, that I did not know if they were Tet or Dip. I have a lot of Daylilies that are Noids.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.