How is Your Weather Where You Live???

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thought I would start a weather forum here. We had not had any rain for 2 weeks and now we have had bad storms for the last 3 days. They are predicting very bad storms here on Saturday. Sure hope we don't loose power.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Very hot over here. Expecting 103 degrees today. Over 100 for tomorrow. Chance of rain on saturday. I see most of the rain is staying north of Chicago and coming back down and hitting you Cindy.

Waddy, KY

Hot, dry, dry, hot.

Corn is tasseling and is shorter than usual. As hot as it is if it doesn't cool down it'll cook the pollen and the corn won't make ears even if it does get a rain. Western KY has just about written off corn and bean crops for this year. We'll start feeding winter hay here pretty soon. The creeks have dried up so we're hauling water to cows that are in pastures without waterers or ponds. The garden is drying up and what wasn't dried up the deer came through and ate because that was the only green thing left to eat.

Daylilies are low man on the totem pole around here right now. Bloom season has been shortened significantly because of a lack of water. Blooms that should be six inches are barely 3 and they're rather deformed. Foliage is starting to yellow. They'll be going dormant here pretty soon. The heat and wind is sucking the ground. Most shrubs and trees are either dropping their leaves or the foliage is significantly wilted by the end of the day. It could do a slow rain for a week and I'm not sure the creeks would be running after that.

Janet

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Same here. We are finally getting the rain we need but I think it is too late to help some of the daylilies. Some are actually thriving on the heat while others are struggling very much, especially new ones I planted a month ago. I think I have lost at least two new ones because of the heat.

Riverview, MI(Zone 6a)

Cindy, I'm enjoying all the rain we're getting but it's mottling my first blooms on new plants I planted this spring so I'm not seeing what the bloom should actually look like...but I guess it's good that they are blooming anyway :)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, same here. Emerald Starburst only had 2 buds and the second one opened today but the early morning storm we had ruined all of its pollen. I had such high hopes of using that flower this summer too. Hope it reblooms.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Well, as I told my kids, which made them laugh...we are in the black hole of HE**.

We are parched. I am surprised my plants are alive at all. We've probably gotten two inches of rain since May.

Solsberry, IN(Zone 6a)

Think we have gotten 1/10 of an inch of rain since May 1st. everyones yards are turning brown and looking like cut hay fields. My flowers are sad and are looking like they ususlly look in October. Along with the awful heat and drought the deer also found my daylilies this year-pretty much robbed me of the rest of the blooms for this year-I would have been much more upset if they hadn't been looking sooo bad already.

South Bend, IN

It's hot, humid and miserable here. We have one more day of 100+ weather forecast then a slight slight chance of rain but at least the temps should drop back to the upper 80's.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very hot and humid here too. Probably will reach triple digits I imagine. I will be happy for a cool off.

Normal, IL

I was wondering about the rest of the summer and found this http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/seasonal_drought.html

Next year, I may grow my own vegetables since food costs are going to be impacted.

As Hemlady indicated some of the daylilies love the heat...El Desperado looks wonderful.

Marshalltown, IA(Zone 5a)

It is terrible here in central Iowa.....we live about 45 miles n.e. of Des Moines, and have had maybe 2" of rain since May....rain either goes north or south of us. My yard is all yellow, and the daylilies are barely surviving even with my watering them. It has been 100 or above for about 10 days with beating down sun, and still no sight of rain. The ground has huge cracks and even the trees show signs of stress.

Last night a front of cooler air came through (cooled down to 80) and I thought I was in heaven. Still no rain. The farmers are really worried about their crops, and my hay man (I have 4 horses) said he didn't think he would have a 3rd cutting this year if there isn't any rain....usually he gets 4 cuttings....I don't want to tell you what that is doing to the price of hay! :(

Our air conditioner went ka-poop, and it is only 5 yrs. old.....the wires burnt up. The air-conditioner guy said that he has been swamped with calls, as the air conditioners can't keep up with the heat...they are running constantly, and burning up....

I don't know what is going on.......just terrible.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

SM4657, sorry to hear about the A/C going belly up. Try a higher setting when it is this hot to help reduce the stress on the A/C unit.
The village next to us measured .54 inches of rain this morning. This was a surprise considering we only had a 20% chance. Glad we were a part of it. Temp is very comfortable right now.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Miserable...just miserable....My garden is fried. I have watered but that does not seem to be enough. We also, have to get a new a/c. ,and I am sure I will be socked with a huge water bill. Oh well....Mother Nature can be a challenge every year. Everyone stay cool....Lesley

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

The Weather Channel has not been very accurate for our area this year. All week they have been predicting severe storms on Saturday, didn't even get a rumble of thunder.

Waddy, KY

Rain went all around us last night. It's like a circle between Lexington and Louisville was the center of a doughnut. We're dragging soaker hoses to the gardens in an attempt to have enough produce for the markets. The daylilies are on their own. I was planning to have open gardens through the 22nd but there's no way.

We're starting to feed hay. And move fences so that every sprig of grass that's available can be grazed. We'll be putting cows in pastures where there's no water so we'll be hauling water. It's a never ending circle.

Janet

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Janet, we feel your pain !

Normal, IL

It was low 80s Sunday and I actually felt an outdoor chill. Ha! Monday and it's 91. Forecast is 88-93 next 7 days with no precipitation.

Next weekend, I'm going to dig up fans of ten or so of my favorites, pot 'em, and keep 'em under a shade tree. They are a browning and withering away. I thought maybe they were going dormant, but with no moisture I think they are baking and withering away.

A local news segment was air conditioner failures. The air guy interviewed said most 'residential' (not commercial) air conditioners are intended to reduce air temperatures 20 degrees at most.

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955

Yesterday....another 90 degrees.....s'posed to be in the mid 80's...I think the weaterman just wants to be a positive thinker...:)

A dark cloud went over, and it poured! My rain gauge said we go around 1/3 "....I couldn't believe it.....just 4 miles from us complained because they didn't even get a drop...

Just crazy!...

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice bloom Onegoodman. Expecting low sixties tonight.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

One word. AWFUL. One of our local local news/weather stations shows the area I live in to be in a "severe" drought. My perennial plants are just hanging on, some are dying. Annuals are frying up. Lost a crabapple tree. Despite the extreme heat & drought, many of the daylily blooms are exceptional this year, it just looks like the foilage is half dead. Have not done hardly any hybridizing this year, what little I did didn't take because of temps over 100 degrees. It's a sad summer.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Make sure your aif filter in your air conditioner is washed out & wash it out from the endside out or you will push the dirt in. As far as the heat it is not going to get any better, 100 years we didn't have interstates & hugh parking lots & millions of homes with dark roofing that the sun heats up & lets the heat rise as where years ago where we had grass
& the ground soaked up the sun. There is a rain forest in south America that used to get over 300 inches of rain a year & after taking out most of the trees they get 80 inches of rain a year, People call this progress but it is total destruction. REMEMBER THE OLD SAYING YOU PAY ME NOW OR YOU PAY ME LATER. The world needs to wake up before it's to late. You take the greenery & you take away the rain. You can see the change from satilites in space, My brother was Division chief at vandeberg Air force base & at Cape Caniveral for all delta rockets.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I believe what you are saying is certainly contributing to what we are having. I also believe the earth goes through cycles. When the weatherman gives our weather each day, they always go back l00 years to give the temps then, and I am very surprised that l00 years ago, the temps were just as hot as they are today in the area where I live. They certainly didn't have nearly the population or greenhouse gases then as we have today and they were still baking in hot temps.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

We got a little rain today. It should be in your area by now Hemlady and company.It wasn't long enough, but, we got some.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

They are saying rain today (Sunday). It missed us yesterday or so I think. Nothing looks wet outside.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Never got the rain Mike. About 20 miles north of us got some and south got some but nothing here.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy,I am sorry that the rain missed you. We have another chance around here tomorrow night into wednesday.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Weather here same as above: Hot and dry. We were ecstatic to get a nice rain a few days ago, but there are patches of pasture that won't come back. We were already buying much more hay than usual because of last years drought, I can't imagine how much we will have to spend on hay this year. Plus the price of milk is down as usual...other than the rain we just got I have been watering all day every day. I even watered my irises this summer!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Not looking forward to today. Supposed to be in the triple digit temps.

Hi caitlinsgarden.....

I am here in Iowa also, and we did have another cloud go over and drop some rain, but just 4 miles north, west and east, they got nothing...the rain is so brief, and so spotty, that I am not sure it helps much. Our yard is just yellow....the only thing that comes up is crabgrass....
Our pastures are barely chugging along, and I have bought more hay (first and second cutting) than usual for my horses for winter....I don't even want to think what hay prices will do if we don't get rain...Oats are going up in price, too.

And the poor farmers.....corn is tasseling, and I hope we get some rain the middle part of the week, but I am not holding my breath!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Triple digits expected today. Watered some this morning.

Waddy, KY

We finally got 2 inches over the weekend and clouds for that time so that it could all be soaked up. Not a drought breaker by any means but certainly most welcome. It will take a lot more to fill up the creeks and get them running but it's at least saved a day or two of hay to save for the winter.

Janet

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

l00 right now here.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

In New Mexico, the temps have stayed right at 95 - 100 for weeks and weeks. I did manage to get maybe 1/3" of rain out of 2 or 3 storms, but not near enough for sure.

A lot of the ranchers are selling off their cows, because they can't afford to feed them with bought hay and grain. The orchards and gardens all around are suffering.

I trimmed off the burnt leaves from my daylilys so they don't look so bad now, but what a job. I've been watering quite a bit and my water bill sure shows it! I do little prayers whenever I see a cloud though. I just don't want a gullywhomper like last year that flooded my Tuff Shed and all my photos!

And, the boss informed me today that I am "allowed" to work 20 hours a week, as there is no money. So full time retirement is sure looking better to me. Just hope I can afford it.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It is very cloudy here today. Praying for some rain for sure!!!

Wyoming, MN

I work nights. Drove home in a deluge this morning. Rain stopped by noon. Rain guage said 4.1"
?!!!

Gary

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Gary, lucky you ! LOL!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We are finally getting some much needed rain.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

We got a good one last night. Some still coming down right now. Lights went out for a little while. I will report the total as soon as I get it. Good thing I held off watering yesterday morning. This should keep the ones in the ground happy for awhile. The grass is smiling !

Wyoming, MN

Yes, I will not be watering for the next few days. Talking to some of my coworkers this morning, I discovered that those just slightly south of me got very little. Glad I was in the ZONE. LOL

Gary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.