Canna Virus?

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

i planted a bunch of seeds this summer and it seams that every one has ended up looking like this one.. I get to the 4th leaf and i yank it out and burn it.. Is this even a sign of virus or am i killing over sunned plants?? I'm so scared to get this virus i trash anything that looks a bit iffy.. Only problem is these were all seeds from plants i had to leave in canada, all virus free plants... I know a virus cant spread to a seed from a virus free plant, so i dont know what is wrong with these cannas.. And its not just this one, i trashed about 15 pots with 4-8 different seedlings in them, to scared to risk it... I'm running out of seeds to keep planting and i'm loosing way to many to be all virused...

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

and this one

Thumbnail by smurf428 Thumbnail by smurf428
Calgary, Canada

That is so sad. I had trouble last year in that I did not know to isolate any new ones.
The seedlings, which you had sent me the seeds, were all needing to be destroyed.
Somewhere I read that seeds can indeed carry the virus. I think mine got it from one root
that I bought. I should have isolated each new root. That is what I am doing this year.
Are the plants dying on you or is it just the yellow colour in the leaves?
There are about three different viruses which can attack cannas.
Caroline

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I've seen the normal one where the leaves are all speckled and the streaking virus.. Those i know are for sure sick and i kill them of course.. But im not sure if the seedlings have different signs or if these are like i said just burning in the sun.. They dont look sick at all other then these few yellow patches, they do get a few dry brown spots in those yellow parts, but not sure if thats a virus or from the 100 degree days we are having... I have nothing to compare it to as i wasnt here last summer with cannas.. In canada it was never this hot, nor did my leaves ever burn.. last year here in Alabama I had a few seedlings that i planted in about September, but thats it... I have all my cannas far away from seedlings.. Sadly my collection consists of 3 that i just bought and then a few seedlings i have yet to destroy.. I'm about 5 minutes from ending my cannas forever, I love them but i cant take much more trying and then having to kill them.. DARN this virus, weather it is the virus or not

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

ok heres some better pictures... I'm starting to think this might be bug related??

Thumbnail by smurf428 Thumbnail by smurf428 Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

heres the whole plant if that will help

Thumbnail by smurf428
Calgary, Canada

Aphids will cling to cannas and in doing so they bring the virus sometimes.
Last year mine just went yellow and died.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

ya alot of bugs will transfer the virus.. But is this virused or just over sunned or damaged from bugs??

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

It looks like burn. Is there something close that could be reflecting strong sun?
Water, mirror, something shining, even reflected of a car or metal.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

its on a deck patio right next to a bbq?? Across from a window?? So i am jumping th gun with killing all these plants.. I know what streaking or rust looks like and these just have yellow spots in only a few spots where it looks like something chewed part of the leaf off but not right through.. It has a paper thin layer left then around that is yellowing..

Calgary, Canada

It is hard to say and I am no expert.
Mine also quit growing when they were virused.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.