dahlias leaves wilty,curly and look sun scorched

Clearwater, FL

My plant was blooming beautifully,(I have it in a pot) I would deadhead it and kept it watered, ferilized with a time release fertilizer. At first I thought it was getting to much sun so I moved it so that it would not get the hot Florida afternoon sun but it just continues to decline what is the problem?
please help.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I wish I could be of more help to you. It's difficult to diagnose but a few photos would help.

If it doesn't revive with some dappled shade and water then I'd suggest cutting it back a few inches and see how it responds.

Clearwater, FL

I just noticed that there is a web thru out the leaves and branches with brownish beige eggs or small insect not sure
I'm not real sure if this is new or maybe the cause of my problem, what can it be.

Thumbnail by kmbruno Thumbnail by kmbruno

See if this helps you: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg0709094425891.html

Otherwise you can Google "dahlia problems" and see if you find an answer there. I do think cutting it back and destroying all you remove is in order. It's obviously developed some kind of a serious problem. Maybe the new growth will be normal or maybe it's a lost cause.

Clearwater, FL

Thanks for your help

I did have that problem with just one dahlia a few years ago. I tried cutting it back and stripping off the leaves but the plant did not recover.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Web usually = spider mites. Spray it with a jet of water daily for awhile, or as frequently as possible. That will shock the little jerks to death. You may find later that new growth is healthier. I use Spray n Grow foliar feed, or you could use some other foliar feed, sometimes it really helps the leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.