A tale of two Adenium

Arlington, TX

Okay these plants usually look similar, one being smaller. This year the smaller plant refuses to completely leaf out. It made a few flowers but what the heck is wrong with it? No softness or signs of rot, just small leaves and few of them. Here is a side by side comparison.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

This plant is my only continuous bloomer. Not part of this thread but I thought I would show him off anyway.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't know why the one is not leafing out much, but that pink one is gorgeous! I assume they are all treated the same and sit near each other?

Arlington, TX

All living under the same conditions. All but the pink grafted are species that I got when they were fairly small. I keep meaning to order another hybrid graft but haven't. I am stumped (no pun intended) on why this plant has refused to grow this summer. I can live without the few flowers that the other plants make but am worried the plant will die without leaves.
C

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I have a similar situation here, equally confused by my Adenium this year. It has a few leaves and buds, so it's clearly awake, but not much is really happening. My current theory is that it's waiting for summer temperatures to arrive (it hasn't been much above 70°F for the past couple of months). Either that or I need to feed/water it more, but I'm not in a hurry to rot it out, so I'll just wait and see.

That pink flowered plant is pretty stunning.

Arlington, TX

Our temps have been quite high so that is not the issue with my plant. Its odd that only one of 6 would be doing this.

Decatur, GA

I have several adeniums that started to grow and got stuck in the small leaf level. They are in s/h so I think that may have something to do with it. But another (in s/h) is blooming like mad. We are plenty warm here and they all are side by side. I have been wondering the same about mine as you have about yours newtonC.
Helen

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Helen: my adeniums are in s-h and are doing fine. They are all leaved out and blooming.

Cheryl: You could take it out of the pot and check the root system to see if anything is going on there. What do you think about that idea?

Arlington, TX

Scary in this heat. I might suspect root bound but it is actually smaller than the other plant in the same size pot. Of course that doesn't mean its roots aren't larger.
C

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wondered if it could be root bound. Maybe later you could check, although I have checked roots in the heat here in Phoenix on various plants without a problem. I just get it back quickly, not letting the roots dry out. But you have to do what you think best.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.