frog ID

Decatur, GA

Does anyone have an name for this little frog I found in my water garden this morning? He is about 21/2 inches long. They don't show well but he has scattered small orange spots on his back.
Thanks,
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

He/She is a tree frog. Here is a link to all the frogs common in the state of GA. if you want to match the exact species. He is cute!

http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/GAFrog.Toad.html

Decatur, GA

Thanks BeaHive. Great site.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Your welcome. Love frogs! Mine is starting very early this morning. Can't sleep..want to go outside but the sun is not up yet. Have a great day!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Decatur, GA

I love frogs too. I had two in my yard/pond this spring. Both croaked their hearts out this past spring but they were different species because of their different songs. They must have each been lonely without another of their own kind.
Here is a picture of a past visitor.
How you have a good day.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah I am missing the bull frogs That I had at my last house. I only have the little tree frogs here. But they did provide a lot of musical entertainment during their mating season. I am hoping some native OR frogs will find my pond soon.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Helen, just to follow up, your visitor (top photo) is the Green Tree Frog (Hyla cinerea). Sounds like a tiny dog barking. :)
Very loud!

Decatur, GA

Thats exactly what it sounded like, a loud tiny dog!
The other was a more regular croak. Very different.
I only caught glimpses of either frog because I have tons of vegetation in my pond.
Helen

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Helen,
Your pond looks loaded with water lettuce. I have a few little pieces I'm hoping will multiply. Will it grow in water thats always moving. I have waterfalls in both ponds plus a fountain in larger one. If it won't grow moving maybe I can corrale it into a pot to make it stationary.
Bonnie

Decatur, GA

Bonnie,
I have always had floating plants in my pond/water garden. I get a few as soon as I can find it for sale in the spring and end up putting tons (not literally) into the compost. My koi will munch it to pieces so I have one of those things that protects water plants. Its a floating ring with the net.
I have this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16852&pcatid=16852
Here is another: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16850&pcatid=16850

Eventually the plants fill the ring and sort of overflow into the plant. Predictably the fish shred a lot of it until even they can't keep up. I suppose the reason I get a lot is because of the fish waste that feed the plants.

The water in my pond has movement but not much of a current, so to speak. With the water moving the plants drift around until they clump up. The only problem is if they drift under the waterfall.. they don't do well there.
I suspect your plants will do well if they get some sun everyday.
Helen

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Helen,
I forgot about them. I will make some from PVC and sew netting around. I have my industrial machines from my drapery bus. Great idea and thanks for the reminder about them.
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.