Let's see your pictures of hostas beginning with "R"

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Pictures of hostas that begin with "R". Please add yours and tell us something about them.

#1. 'Rainbow's End' - new July 2009. A WONDERFUL small hosta. About as slug resistant as they get.

#2. 'Rainforest Sunrise' - new spring 2008. Very cupped and in my garden, the cupped leaves catch all sorts of stuff from the trees; so it usually looks messy. But very pretty when it's not full of junk.

#3. 'Raspberries and Cream' - new spring 2008. A sport of 'Raspberry Sorbet', this one has a narrow margins and subtle streaking in the leaves.

#4. 'Raspberry Sundae' - new July 2011. This is a WOW! hosta. Or will be if it grows well. Still too early to tell for sure. But the red from the petioles extends right up into the leaves.

#5. 'Red Hot Flash' - new spring 2006. Supposed to have really red petioles. Mine are not dramatically red and I'm getting tired of the messy looking mound. Pretty when it emerges with yellow centres to the leaves, but they fade rapidly.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Red October' - new spring 2007. This one is a candidate for division next year. Has really grown well. See the next pic of its red petioles.

#2. 'Red October' petioles.

#3. 'Regal Splendor' - new spring 2006. A lovely, upright hosta.

#4. 'Remember Me' - new spring 2006. Emerges with very bright yellow leaf centres which fade to white or near white. But you can still see a touch of yellow on the newer leaves.

#5. 'Revolution' - new July 2007 (from June 13 - the others are later June). This was a one-eye division in 2007 and has done very well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Restless Sea' - new spring 2007. I really like this one but it will never be a large hosta.

#2. 'Restless Sea' leaf - white on the underside and if you look closely, you'll see a sawtooth edge. It gets its name from what it looks like in a breeze.

#3. 'Ripple Effect' - new June 2010. This one is only barely larger than when I got it. It was a bonus plant and I'm not totally convinced that it will be a long term keeper.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Roller Coaster Ride' - new August 2011. Stable sport of the streaked 'Ray of Hope'. This one will stay small.

#2. 'Rootin Tootin' - new spring 2008. Is not a mature hosta and is looking pretty good except for the chewed leaves. Have been totally unsuccessful in catching the culprit(s), but many of my hostas have had major chewing on the leaves this year.

#3. 'Royal Mouse Ears' - new spring 2011. Doing well and will bloom this year.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 8:58 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Rotini - I just got this one last year from a coop, so it's pretty new to me. It seems to be growing at a decent rate, and I like the streaked leaves.

Rare Breed is also one I got last year. This pic was taken earlier in June, but today it is showing some burn from the heat so I will post the prettier picture!

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Ottawa, Canada

I like 'Radiant Edger' which is supposed to be a fast grower. I planted it in 2009 and is growing slowly under my spruce trees.

Thumbnail by irawon
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1. 'Radiant Star' - new this spring 2012. Impulse choice after 'Raspberry Sundae' was unavailable. Pic 7/4/2012

#2. 'Rainbow's End' - added spring 2011. Great little hosta. Beautiful strong yellow and green color, plus good substance. Not a fast grower for me so far, but just got it last year. Pic 7/4/2012

#3. 'Rainforest Sunrise' - added spring 2010. Very nice hosta than I have in lots of sun. Thick substance with bright color and lots of corrugation. The first flush of leaves was frost damaged; those are the ones below that show a few brown spots. Pic 7/4/2012

#4. 'Regal Splendor' - came with the house, so pre-dates 2008. One of those oldies that look great. Nice soft blue-grey-green color. Good upright form. Pic 7/4/2012

#5. 'Restless Sea' - added late summer 2011. Impulse buy on sale at the nursery. Strong plant with leaves in artful waves. Good substance. Nice blue sheen. Pic 7/4/2012

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1. 'Ripple Effect' - added late summer 2011. Impulse buy on sale at the nursery. As others have mentioned, I'm not a big fan of the lop-sided growth. But I really like the color; it's kind of a smooth, minty green that reminds me of a sherbert. Pic 7/4/2012

#2. 'Ripple Effect' - Wet from the hose. Pic 6/19/2012

#3. 'Ripple Effect' - Fully unfurled. Pic 5/24/2012

#4. 'Ripple Effect' - Pale greenish yellow reminds me of 'Prairie Moon' here. Pic 5/6/2012

#5. 'Ripple Effect' - Emerging very yellow. Pic 4/22/2012

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone have hosta 'rare breed' that share pics and any experience with the plant. I just saw it in horticulture magazine and it looks awesome. It is not found on hosta library but there are a few nurseries with it listed - but currently out of stock. I am interested to know if it really becomes tri-colored and the yellow turns white as the summer goes on. Also found it listed as a large variety, but would like more specifics like how big leaves are and height and spread. Thanks!!!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Rose1656 :
Rotini - I just got this one last year from a coop, so it's pretty new to me. It seems to be growing at a decent rate, and I like the streaked leaves.

Rare Breed is also one I got last year. This pic was taken earlier in June, but today it is showing some burn from the heat so I will post the prettier picture!

This is a real beautiful Hosta Rose! A lot of mine are burnt, does it show slug resistance?

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't have a lot of trouble with slugs, so I can't really answer that question. My big problems this year are moles and rabbits. My 'Stephen King' that I just got this year was munched on all the way to the ground. I potted it up and will see if it comes back next year. Stupid bunnies!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Wow, now that is scary! No pun intended. I sprinkle the Millorganite around, they don't like the smell. It is organic, low dose, slow release fertilizer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.