Lets have a new thread we were here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243730/#new

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

That's a nice one GE1836.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks they are Blacks and vary from bloom to bloom.Love them

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Very pretty Joann! I only got a few red corn poppies sprouting this year. I somehow lost all my poppy seeds I had ordered. So depressing. I may have accidentally threw them out back in October, when cleaning the freezer after a week with no power.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Meredith79, you should be able to get some here for postage.
Two surprises today.
Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

I'm sure there are lots of generous people here! But I had ordered ones that were hard to find so I probably won't be able to get the same ones. I did find some Bridal Silk and Venus seeds. So I can try those next year. The one's that I am sadest about are Queen's Poppies. A DG er did actually send me some butt I know she was down to her last seeds. I had also ordered some on Ebay even though Ebay seeds have never ended up true for me. I also can't find some White Peshwar poppies, I had ordered 3 packages from Horizon Herbs... Oh well maybe they will still turn up in my fridge somewhere.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Good luck !

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

what a shame

I know and Annie's Annuals actually had Queen's Poppies plants available early in spring. I wanted to order but it was bad timing.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi all,

I have some shirley poppies growing in flowerpots this year. They are absolutely beautiful, but they are VERY tall. Some are topping 4 feet! Is that normal?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sure.,they seem to respond to soil nutrients etc.
Someone had a photo of hers that reached over 6 feet,growing in her garden.
I was just thinking how sturdy poppies are. They grow in snow and freezing weather and bloom in this awful heat.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I think these are the ladybird poppies, but I'm not 100% certain. I love them paired with the coreopsis and jacob's ladder in this bed.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just beautiful thanks for the photo.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Beautiful. A good shot too with the poppies in focus and the other flowers slightly out of focus. Puts your attention right on the poppies but you still get the effect of the background colors. My husband does that a lot

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Some of mine

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful poppies, Kosk and GE!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks Mike.

I always love your salmon pink ones Joann! Are they Venus by chance?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes Venus and resow well.

How about a black poppy. Last year they were a really dark purplish. This year they are all coming out black as can be. Not a trick of the camera or where they are in the yard. Amazing

Thumbnail by Oberon46
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful, Mary. Has this been a hot summer for you?

Hi Pirl. No. Quite the opposite. The coldest July on record for anchorage since 1958. Cloudy and rain. But yesterday and today were (are) gorgeous. Sun and warmth. Warmth being defined as above 65. lol. It's all relative. I have my first Japanese iris I believe. What do you think? As well as a comment on the black poppy. I took the first picture this morning early before the sun was around front shining through the bloom. but when I was looking at a picture I took yesterday I could see the deep purple color. also a picture of poppy Arizona Aroma

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46

Haven't contributed much this year so here are two more.

Note the white tags hanging on the stems. Trying to make sure I get seeds representative of all my poppies.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 12:54 PM

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Just beautiful Oberon. Love the water feature also.

Wonderful poppies and, yes, that is a JI! Love the water feature, too.

I'd live happily ever after at 65 degrees. We hit over 96 today so I was inside by 12:30.

Thanks. I kinds of favor the simple poppy forms rather than the big boofy ones. It amazes me how the colors and mixes morph from year to year. gotta love those bees mixing up all the pollen.

The single forms are such simple beauties. I love them as well.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oh Arlene, poppies mixed with JI and astilbes. I would not have thought they would grow in the same places. But it is just heavenly.

Thanks, Mary. The photo looks even better right side up!

I first saw the mix of JI's and poppies at Eartheart Gardens in Maine and loved it so much that I use poppies now. The astilbe was my own idea since they've always bloomed at the same time as the JI's.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW Mary.That is really black as can be.Lovely pix Pirl. Sad to know they have such a short bloom time.

I got the poppy fever thanks to you, Jo Ann! Thanks!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A little bit of this a little bit of that. Pirl, your beautiful pictures take me back to spring. A nice mix with the poppy standing out. My Astilbies didn't like the weather this year. They told me "in a still small voice, see you next spring". This was my last pic taken recently.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Thanks, Mike. I love the crepe paper look to so many poppies.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhh yess the crepe paper look,so charming and the droopy buds and the waving in the wind.

And that gray color that's so nice in the garden.

Arlene, where is your garden plot with the astilbe, poppy, etc mix? Full sun, partial sun (morning or afternoon), etc. I would love to try it but not sure where. I have a mix of all of this in various spots in my garden. As per usual I am doing some major moving of at least one corner bed this summer/fall anyway.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I just found this thread. I love poppies. Right now I just have a few varieties. Didn't know there are so many. Love the photos of everyone's poppies. I grew Danish Flag in the past but it didn't come back this year. I should have gathered the seeds instead of just assuming they would self sow and appear. I have one orange (flore pleno) poppy that is always popping up in the garden. So dainty and cute. The pic is a new one I purchased this year but I don't know what it is. I bought two plants and they have been blooming since May.

Thumbnail by roserairie
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sweet

Well, carrying on my self-claimed title of Johnny Poppy Seed, if you dmail me I can send some seed to try there. You would need to keep it in the freezer for at least a month to give them an artificial cold snap (although it seems like NY gets plenty cold in the winter), then broadcast them in the winter or in very very early spring.

Mary - the spot is morning sun and very late afternoon sun.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.