What is happening with this Rudbeckia?

Saint Pauls, NC(Zone 7b)

I have some mutant Rudbeckia. What is happening to these plants?
I have let this area reseed itself and am trying to have it fill itself in. Should I pull out the odd looking plants? As you can see some of the blooms are green and very small, Some of blooms have tiny blooms growing out of the center of the flower....I have never seen this before.

Thumbnail by emnotcrazee Thumbnail by emnotcrazee Thumbnail by emnotcrazee Thumbnail by emnotcrazee
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's the disease aster yellows http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/ipm.asp?code=138

Saint Pauls, NC(Zone 7b)

as soon as the temps go below 99F today I will start pulling up the diseased plants...Drat....that will really thin out the garden. Thank you for the quick response!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2012 1:04 PM

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have about given up on Rutabeckia. They are perennials that don't come back, get all kinds of rust and fungus problems, and seem to spread their troubles to plants nearby. I'll admit that I probably am doing something wrong, but I find it easier to just not bother with plants that I find difficult

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank you, ecrane for that info on aster yellows. I do not need another diseased plant in my garden. Luciee :o)

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Luciee - I just found out the same thing about my purple cone flower :(

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

minnesippi, sorry about your purple cone flower. I planted some seed a few years ago and finally this year, it bloomed. That's right, I have one from a pack of seed. Not much sense in worrying about things that just do not grow very well. Luciee {;^)

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

And today I pulled up and put into the house trash, a rudbeckia with yellow wilt. I am thankful to you all that I read this info here and knew what to do. Thanks to all, Luciee (;^)

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I have found it in my sunflower, monarda, phlox and cone flower..and powdery mildew is especially bad this year as well. I have never had either before and now I have both. Maybe it was the 90 degree March and hot June & July?

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

I've not heard of aster yellows disease but I do have Rudebekia Goldstrum and until I found that variety I had the problem keeping them growing every year.
I was told that it is the hardiest variety of black eyed susan.
Jan

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

When I looked up aster yellows on the computer, I found out that there are a number of plants which are susceptible, including marigold, which is a staple for me. Now, I am not going to be surprised what I find it on. Luciee {;^)

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Don't be too worried yet, it is a disease spread by leafhoppers so if your not organic, fist step, spray insectiside. Second step continue pulling any plant with first sign or starting to wilt (do not compost these plants, throw them away). I had it go through my garden this year and I'm still seeing it pop up because it was wide spread this year for some reason. About everyone with coneflower in town has it and many are oblivious. Its obvious their flowers are sick and they are just letting it spread(small town). It seems like the leafhoppers that went through only mostly really like coneflower and some rudebekia. Hopefully your leaf hoppers have a preference too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.