June 29th, 2012: Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella damascena) by bebop2

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for June 29th, 2012 was Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella damascena).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2012-06-29

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I absolutely love this flower. At one house where I had a big garden I took some seeds and they were all different colors and just throw them into a section of the garden. For the next 6 years I had Love-in-the-Mist growing and new colors popping up all the time. Now that I am moving back home to KY, I will do the same thing there. I'll get as many mixed colors as I can and just turn them loose in the garden to do their own thing.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the name too! I have only seen the blue ones. I may have to buy some seed to, thanks for the suggestion! Flowers with no work sounds good to me!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Do you want me to check our nursery and see if they have the mixed color seeds? I can put them in a envie for you.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That would be so kind. Let me look here first. Thanks

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

OK, just let me know before July 21st as I leave on the 22 to move back home to KY. I'll be picking some up for myself.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That is a big move! Why are you leaving California?

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, due to my health and unable to work I left Calif in August 2009 and moved in with my sister in KY. Than in 2011 my son and DIL asked me to return to Calif and help look after my GS. The licensed daycare provider they had hired fed him hot beefy/cheese and burned his mouth. He spent the night in the hospital on Morphine. Now a year later he still will not eat even warm food. All of his food has to be cold before he will touch it. Anyway, I have had to put up with my DIL's snobbery and inconsitite handling of my GS all yr. One minute she tells him to quit acting like a baby and the next minute she's treating him like hes still 2 yrs old. He is 5 and will be 6 end of January 2013 and he is tall for his age. Most people think he is older than he is. We had him in pre-school, but took him out for the summer so I could spend time with him and take him hiking, swimming and generally teach him about nature and how to take care of himself. Than I developed breast cancer, had surgery June 6th and am slowly recovering. DIL says I am an endangerment to the boy because i spend time in my room, which openings into the dining/livingroom area of the mobilehome, and let him play in the livingroom and watch TV by himself. She decided that I can not be trusted to tale care of him as she does and so I am leaving to go back to KY. with my sister. Plus I have a whole 1/2 acre to garden in and I can go to a friends house and hunt deer again this year. In KY I can get a handicap fishing and hunting licenses for $5.00 ea. Calif does not have that here.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

If I were you I would run back to Kentucky and your garden! You prove that saying true, "No good deed goes unpunished."

So sad for your grandson who now will miss out on his grandmother's love being so close. And I am so sorry that he got so hurt.

Do not take your DIL's comments too much to heart, DILs and MILs just usually are like oil and water. It is too bad, but it is just that way too many times. I wish your DIL would have taken care of you as you recover as you were willing to take care of her son. But you have to deal with what is. Having surgery just June 6th, you really need some time to get better. I am amazed you even are willing to take care of your grandson so soon.

I hope you have a great living situation with your sister and that you are appreciated! Take care and focus on yourself and getting healed! Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.