Burnt (?) Leaves?

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Many of my more yellow/yellow-green heuchs are getting brown spots and edges. Some may be suffering from too much sun as we lost some big trees, but others appear unhappy where they have been for years. Any ideas?

I'll post pics later- after The Son tells me where the cable for the camera is. :-}

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

So, 3 pics of 'burnt' heuchs and one of a burnt hosta just for............. fun?

Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars Thumbnail by sissystars
Lake Stevens, WA

Looks like too much sun to me. I put up a beach umbrella when my surbs got pruned and I lost my shade. If you have some of those folding beach chairs are good to.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

@Springcolor:

I actually did think about 'parasols' until my spouse and kids laughed at me. But, what do they know? I think some nice paper Chinese ones would be both pretty and effective.

Keeping up with - often suddenly - changing shade/sun conditions can be a challenge.

Athens, PA

Why don't you move them Sissy? I had lost quite a bit of shade when the tree out in front of our house had to come down and I moved everything in the front bed so I wouldn't lose them.

Besides, you will now have room where these plants were to put something that is a bit more sun tolerant..... ^_^

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

@Carolyn:

Well, I suppose I already feel over-extended. Shoot, I've basically let a whole bed go to weeds this year while trying to keep others happy. Also, when the new trees start to spread out, the sun tolerant ones will have to be moved! Eeks.

Athens, PA

Sissy

you will get there - I know I used to feel overwhelmed a number of years ago. I have to tell you - mulching has gone a long way to taking care of feeling like that. Do you mulch? It does help. Now the only time I really feel overwhelmed is when I have all the things that have to be planted out in the Spring, because I have quite a few things that are lifted and overwintered in the house.....

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

I do mulch. I have a tendency to overdo, and as I get older I'm finding it harder to maintain all I've put in over the years. (The fact that our soil is horrid does not help.)

Ah well. Onwards and upwards! :-)

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I keep most of the Heucheras in containers precisely to move if the sun gets too strong. When it does, I move them to the east side of the house so they get morning sun and dappled sunlight in the afternoon. I found that they did not do as well under the shade tree as the leaves were being eaten slightly. I do the same for coleus; their tender leaves always get to be dinner for some insects.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

@Cathy:

What do you do with them in the winter? (I do NOT have any more space for overwintering anything.)

@Springcolor: I tried to set out some parasols today, but even with the mild wind they just blew over. I'm thinking some light fabric across stakes: not pretty, but perhaps a temporary solution.

Lake Stevens, WA

What about the folding lawn chairs?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Occasionally I bring one in for the winter, but I do move them closer to the house. It affords them a little protection, and we have fewer deer. Also should there be a storm, I can move them where they won't blow around.

Here is the only problem I've ever had with containers. When they announced the forecast of Hurricane Irene, I could not let all the pots blow around. Some I stuffed into the car, some in the house, and the rest on the porch where I could keep an eye on them. By the way, stuffing them into the car when it quickly got hot wasn't so good.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from springcolor :
What about the folding lawn chairs?

Hey... that's an idea. Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.