Let's see your pictures of hostas beginning with "C"

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Pictures of hostas that begin with "C". Please add yours.

#1. 'Cameo' - a sport of 'Baby Bunting'. This small hosta was new in 2007, but got waterlogged in 2009 and is only now beginning to come back.

#2. 'Captain Kirk' - new in 2009 as a single eye division and it's doing well.

#3. 'Cat and Mouse' - this member of the BME family is supposed to be chartreuse in the centre of the leaves but seems all blue. A second eye is just opening now and last year it has more chartreuse. I think this one is a dud.

#4. 'Charlotte's Web' - new autumn 2011 and this one is doing really well. My hand is holding down a large eye that has sported to a more stable colouring and is growing faster. This one will be divided soon.

#5. 'Cherish' - another sport of 'Baby Bunting' and it's really struggling.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 10:18 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Cherry Berry' - new 2006. Love the red flower scapes and seed pods on this one.

#2. 'Cherry Tart' - new autumn 2011. Doing well.

#3. 'Chinese Sunrise' - new 2006. Emerges bright yellow with a narrow margin. Darkens up my end of June.

#4. 'Christmas Pageant' - new 2008. This one struggled the 2nd year I had it, but has come back and is beginning to look pretty.

#5. 'Clausa var. clausa' - probably my oldest hosta back before I knew what a hosta was. It spreads by rhizomes and can become a real garden pest in some spots and I'm sure it was passed up and down the street. Grow it where nothing else likes to grow. It redeems itself with deep purple flower buds although they never open. But the colour is intense.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Country Mouse' - one of my smallest hostas and a vigorous one at that. A mouse that is NOT a member of the BME family. New 2007.

#2. 'Cracker Crumbs' - a vigorous mini. Emerges bright yellow and remains chartreuse all summer in my garden. New 2005. I'm making it into a border.

#3. 'Cracker Crumbs' up close- note the very thin green margin.

#4. 'Curly Fries' - new this spring.

#5. 'Cutting Edge' - new 2008. This one has grown larger than I expected and last night its leaves won me a "Best in Show" for foliage at the Ottawa Horticultural Society Summer Show. I think someone has been feeding it steroids.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

1. Cathedral Windows- new in 2010, terrific grower, heavier substance than Stained Glass.

2. Chain Lightning- good grower, good substance

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Forgot one

Candy Dish- Very fast grower, not as thick substance as was described

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Love the 'Candy Dish'.

Fairchild, WI

1st:
Cascades streaked
2nd and 3rd:
'Christmas Tree Gala'

Thumbnail by Johnny_x Thumbnail by Johnny_x Thumbnail by Johnny_x
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Clifford's Stingray

Okay...I felt bad that I wasn't posting recent pictures, so I went out and snapped some pics and donated blood to the millions of mosquitoes out there! These three were taken today!
Captain's Adventure
Clifford's Forest Fire
Confused Angel

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1. 'Captain Kirk' - added spring 2010. Love the coloring of this one. Hasn't grown a lot for me, but it has been moved once a year and still doesn't have a permanent home. Pic 6/24/2012

#2. 'Clovelly' - added spring 2011. Love the piecrust margins. Not much larger than last spring, but I had it planted beneath a crabapple tree where I underestimated the root competition. Moved to a new bed this spring. Pic 6/19/2012

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have two 'Captain Kirk' hostas, and can't seem to get either to grow! I really like the colors, but I must have gotten a couple of duds! Yours is very pretty. Doesn't the center brighten up during the summer?

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Hosta Cathedral Windows. 1) Plant, in a 12" pot. Super-fast growing from a starter plug. 2) Probably the biggest, most fragrant flowers on any hosta I've seen...

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Hey, Ann. Here's a pic of Cat and Mouse (with Rainbow's End) that I saw in a garden a few weeks ago. Looks like theirs reverted too.

Thumbnail by Eleven
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm totally disillusioned with the BME family. To me, there are only a few variants, many of them aren't stable and revert and most of the others all look alike. I think a blue one, a green one if you wish (I don't wish), one with a white or cream margin and one with white or cream in the centre and you've pretty well got it covered. Oh yes, one that's streaked, but we all can guess how long you'll have it before it stabilizes into something else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.