Let's see your pictures of hostas beginning with "B"

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Pictures of hostas that begin with "B". Please add yours.

#1. 'Baby Bunting' - fast growing, blue mini which has spawned 'Cameo', 'Cherish', 'Hope' and Pandora's Box'.

#2. 'Bell Ringer' - This one came as 'Liberty Bell' but had already stabilized. No problem. It was purchased with a gift from the handbell choir I direct and the name is quite appropriate. Seems quite fast growing. 3rd year in my garden and it's about 12" across.

#3. 'Blue Ice' - slow growing little plant, though the leaves may be larger than official "mini" size.

#4. 'Blue Ivory' - 3rd year in my garden and this one is a real slow grower for me. Jury is still out. I'm not real sure it's worth keeping, but I'll give it a few more years.

#5. 'Blue Shadows' - a mature plant.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 10:17 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Blue Wedgwood' - slow grower for me - I've had it maybe 7 years. But it keeps its blue colour very well.

#2. 'Bridegroom' - this one is a fairly fast growing green with an interesting leaf shape. 5th year in my garden.

#3. 'Brother Stefan' - 5th year in my garden. Has grown quite well.

#4. 'Bulletproof' - a sport of 'Touch of Class'. It's available commercially, but I got my own as TOC sported to solid blue. I separated it in spring 2010 and it's doing well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

A couple more. I forgot to take a picture of 'Blue Mouse Ears', but I've cropped it from the entire garden.

#1 'Blue Mouse Ears' - I've had for several years but it has never bloomed. I moved the planter to a brighter spot and I'm going to be rewarded.

#3 my BME family and its watchful guardian.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 9:45 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

1. Blue Cadet (I think)- bigger than I expected, but nice dense clump with small leaves

2. Barbara Ann- terrible drawstringing problem.

3. Blue Hawaii- strange year for this one. Leaves are heavy and twisted, smaller than I think they should be

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for letting us know about 'Barbara Ann'. My intent is to show ALL my hostas and say what I do or DON'T like about them.

I realize that I missed my own 'Blue Cadet' which I've been dividing to make into a border in a dark area where nothing much grows. Here it is on the 13th. Pic from the 19th was blurry and I seem to have forgotten it a couple of days ago.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 2:00 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Fairchild, WI

1st: 'Black Hills'
2nd: 'Blue Arrow'
3rd: Blue Cadet streaked
4th: 'Blue Mammoth'

Thumbnail by Johnny_x Thumbnail by Johnny_x Thumbnail by Johnny_x Thumbnail by Johnny_x
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I like the streaked 'Blue Cadet'. Is that one that's commercially available or do you have a sport?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1. 'Big Daddy' - added spring 2009. Has 1 eye every single year. Has never grown. Will remove if I ever need more room. No recent pic because it doesn't really change. Pic 5/6/2012

#2. 'Blonde Elf' - added spring 2011. Looked a bit rough when I got it last year, and then the thin leaves burned easily. Not particularly blonde for me yet, but it's supposed to be lutescent (turn golder over the season) so I'm waiting. Pic 5/18/2012

#3. 'Blue Angel' - added spring 2009. Got it because lots of people love it, but it's never really drawn me or grown well. Might replace with something else in a few years. Please ignore the ragged look, have been fighting the bunny as well as trying to ignore some baby raccoons this year. Pic 6/19/2012

#4. 'Blue Cadet' - added spring 2009. Less blue than a lot of other blues but makes a cute mound and requires no special care. Just moved to new location. Pic 6/19/2012

#5. 'Blue Mouse Ears' - added early spring 2011. Impulse buy at the nursery. I've never been part of the mouse craze, but this one looked good and was inexpensive. Survived next to an asphalt driveway with no special care. Sorry for no recent pic, but it's currently blooming. Pic 5/19/2012

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Eleven - I've had several that were just one eye for years before they finally grew. Wait a couple more years before making a decision.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Ann, I'm not getting rid of any of my hostas as I'm not even close to being out of room yet.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Lucky you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.