Hello all, new to this forum and have a question

Conroe, TX

Hello, I've posted many times on the poultry forum, but not on the sewing forum, so I am new to this forum.

I've sewn for many many years and love sewing and creating new things. My machine is in the shop right now and I feel a bit lost without it. I'm not sure if it can even be repaired so I am finding myself "looking" at machines in case I need to replace mine.
I have a Viking Huskystar 224 that I've had for 7 years. I do a LOT of sewing and it has held up very well until now. Looking at the machines available I find there are a lot of computerized versions out there now. I can't afford anything fancy and really need a workhorse. I've never used a computerized machine and I'm not sure how they will hold up under hours of sewing. I'm kind of partial to a more mechanical machine simply because I'm afraid a computerized one will not be able to handle the amount of sewing I do.

Any input or experience with mechanical vs computerized would be appreciated. My Huskystar did have the option to have the needle stop in the up or down position and I really like that. Other than that I need a machine that can sew through thick fabrics without hanging up (something my Huskystar didn't do well) and I basically need a workhorse. Any input in my search would be appreciated. I'm hoping they can fix my machine, but if not, I want to be prepared.

By the way, the picture is a T-shirt quilt I made for a friend.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
This thread has 18 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!