Here it comes!

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Is it the end of gardening after this heatwave comes through??? I'm not sure how long I can stand to water in this 100 degree temps. Just as my tomatoes were starting to ripen.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Relax , 100 degree weather is a standard feature of Georgia summers, at least for all areas south of Atlanta. Sure could use rain tho.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from Farmerdill :
Relax , 100 degree weather is a standard feature of Georgia summers, at least for all areas south of Atlanta. Sure could use rain tho.

Still hot and dry here Farmer. Did you get any rain? I notice even though my tomatoes are turning red the inside is still a little white and sour, not to mention the sunscald I'm beginning to see.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

not a bit. trying to save my rabbiteyes right now. they are browning up.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

I got 4 of them (blueberries) in 15 gal tubs and am watering them almost daily. They're doing okay but if they were in ground I would have lost them as I have in the past. Good luck gettin' thru this!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

It finally rained!! One hundred degree days might be norm in Georgia but it's dry heat that kills the plant. My rabbiteyes seems to be OK. The Misty, a southern highbush, is not doing too well.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've never, in all my years gardening in the N. Ga. mountains, had plants burn up in the ground. This is a first. I lost all the butternut squash, more than half the cabbage, second plantings of seedlings on almost everything and am struggling with other plants. After several pickings of blueberries the birds can have the rest. Can't imagine the flavor being good with this heat and dry weather.

Lula, GA

Sorry to hear about your veggie garden plants, Laurel. Mine are doing okey so far, but I have had some leaves go crispy on my perennials. Just burned up!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

any plants I planted in "full sun" got burned up. My squash, zucchini and cucumbers are gone. Even the two tomato plants in full sun burned up. The others are fine. All the same kind. 4th of July.

Plants that get a bit of shade are doing much, much better. True of my peonies too. I have tomatoes, pomegranate, raspberries, blueberries, eggplant (Ichiban), basil. oregano in part shade now...

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

sterhill....I think all those planting directions you see in descriptions are meant for plants being grown up North. What I notice that if a plant that requires full Sun, if planted where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade does better than full Sun here. I have peppers, tomatoes, blueberries and cukes in that environment and they are getting through this heat. But the ones in full Sun are withering and getting sunburned. Another thing is if you have plants in pots, the advice given says to use a light soiless potting mix. Wrong again unless you have the time to water them twice a day. I do a half potting mix and half regular garden soil and found that I don't have to water as frequently and haven't noticed any root rotting as professed. I believe we as gardners have to rely on the experience of those who are gardening in the same environment. So I am always looking for experienced advice from those in my area. Thanks for confirming some of my beliefs. Oh by the way we aren't supposed to be able to grow peonies here...or so the experts say.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

This year was different - that early, early heat this spring... I dunno. My hydrangeas were spectacular - never have I seen such blooms on my lace-caps and serratas. It was like a fairy land, BUT the peonies out front that have been gorgeous in previous years were terrible, few blooms and not much green either. The ones in back (with a little shade) did as expected - full blooms and greens.

I raise 4th of July tomatoes from seed and this year I was getting tomatoes by the 4th of JUNE! That has never happened before. But for the two plants in front, in full sun. They don't look so good.

I planted squash in the bed I've always had squash in before - every year for about 8 years - and they literally melted in the June heat. So did the cucumbers. I've always planted in this plot. It seems to me the light is whiter this year too. I think the business of holes in the ozone is spot on...

I do agree, you have to learn most from experience and other gardeners!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.