Preen & Poppy Seeds

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

If I put Preen on my Poppy bed now, do you think it would ruin the poppy seeds? They don't germinate until September or so. The Preen would be pretty much gone by the time they sprouted. I am tired of pulling weeds!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

No clue. I use preen but grow my poppies inside and transplant out side. My poppies grow early in spring and that is when I preen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I believe there are 2 preen seasons .Spring and Fall.( I might be wrong) the lable says the product is active for many weeks. I just bite the weed bullet and dont preen where I sow poppies. The Preen is effective for 12 feet so I give it a wide path.

I preened this year and while I have very little if any chickweed, I have weeds that must grow from roots. You would think that if I pull those up and preen next year I would have fewer of those also. But this years poppies are not so good looking. Transplanting doesn't do any where as well as just broad casting. Hoping for enough representative seeds to correct that next year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a great insight. Preen doesnt work on established dandelions.

I know. I have a dog now and have been afraid to use broadleaf killer on the lawn. It is being taken over by clover, and English daisies. arghhhh. And I worked so hard to eradicate that stuff.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't know how I missed returning to this thread. I am inundated with weeds--especially chickweed. That weed has tender, short stems that break off at ground level and re-grow. It was still blooming at Thanksgiving which means it was still making seed. grrrrrr.

I certainly hope the preen doesn't ruin my poppies. I have had them for many years. When I put the preen down, I had forgotten about the poppies. We have snow on the ground, or I would go check my poppy garden. I do recall seeing small Larkspur plants in that garden.

Thanks to all that responded. I did not ignore this thread on purpose.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am not as talanted with Preen but was lead to believe the toxic effects last for quite a number of weeks.
I dont preen in the gardens where annual poppies are sown.Mu Orientals do OK.I never check them.Lamiums are so thick weeds dont get started.
I have BitterCress.It forms matts in fall and winters over.Impossible to get rif of.It has profuse seeds in spring that jump off the stems if the plant is touched.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Jo Ann check out this link.http://www.bonide.com/products/category.php?category_id=2&page=4&per=6
This is reported to be a good eradicator of bittercress.
http://gregsgardens.blogspot.com/2012/04/whats-this-new-weed-growing-in-my.html

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I will check into it.The low temp use is a bonus.Thanks.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, I have that one also. :( But, thanks for the link--also like the idea it can be used at low temps. Maybe we can get a head start on those rogues! We have snow right now-but when it melts, I am going to take a look at my nice thatch of chickweed and see if it's still green.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Just an up date. I have lots of annual poppies. So, I guess the Preen was no longer effective.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the update.Great news about your seedlings.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I think Preen is suppose to last 3 months, but if you are really intent on keeping weeds out, I would Preen every 2.5 months.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.