To Move or Not to Move

Spring City, TN

I have hostas behind the house, stays somewhat damp, gets a blast of sun from 11a to 2p and they are huge and grow like mad BUT get burned about this time of year and look crispy.

I can move them to a spot under pine trees which is dryer but only recieves dappled shade and I'd have to contend with a pretty vigorous woods vine that gets in everything in that location and has to be ripped out.

Thoughts? Should I move them to the second location and if so, when?

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I would move, because I cannot stand the crispy hosta look, personally. Especially this early in the season. I'm not one to ask about when to move- I move them at pretty much any time!

Spring City, TN

LOL, thanks, that was my thought. And I have access to half a dozen hydrangea who would love the back of house location...

Ottawa, Canada

etnredclay, I have somewhat of a bit of the same predicament. I have a hosta (hosta A) that has outgrown its present location but I haven't provided it with a new location. At the same time I have bought a mature hosta (hosta B) for hosta A's position because if I hadn't bought hosta B it wouldn't have been available when I had ideal conditions to move hosta A. My preference for moving hostas would be spring just when the eyes emerge. Next would be the fall when most hostas are in decline. I have found that moving larger hostas in the fall doesn't pose any problems BUT moving the miniatures can be problematic because of winter heaving. So I have decided to move Hosta A in August, which is I think the third best time to move hostas. Hope this helps.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 3:42 AM

Spring City, TN

Thank-you, yes, it helps.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I move at any time also. Just remember to water regularly though. My Mom always said when you planted something you should water every day for eight days and I have found this works for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.