Azalea with flowers like roses?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

We bought a house five years ago with multiple noid (to me) rhododendrons and azaleas. One caught my eye blooming this year because the flowers reminded me of a rose. Maybe it just has double flowers? I can't find anything quite like it in PlantFiles.

It's relatively short at about 24-30 inches high, growing in dappled sun/shade, and bloomed the second to third weeks of May. I'm in zone 6A in Michigan.

Thumbnail by Eleven
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Monrovia has a rebloomer called Bloomathon or something like that. And there is hybrid called Rose Bud that you could check out on the Internet.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65517/
RBB

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link, Bob. I think that's a good candidate for mine. Especially since DaylilySLP lives in my area and took pics, so I know it's available here. The only thing off is the bloom time, because it didn't bloom later than the others. BUT, we also had a very warm spring, and some plants were thrown off schedule. I'll monitor it next spring.

Guntersville, AL(Zone 7b)

It could be "Betty Ann Voss" Height and bloom time are right and it is hardy to minus 10 degrees

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like Gables Rosebud Azalea

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with Al. The first thing that came to my mind was the cultivar named rosebud.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

there is a pink Azalea with double flowers hybridized by Joseph Gable in the 1960's, called Rosebud, aptly enough. It also blooms in late May, and is hardy to about -10F.
Dr AR Fitzburgh

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the additional comments. I did label it as Rosebud last spring, even though it doesn't seem very late to me. It blooms at the same time as the fuschia colored azalea to its right and much earlier than a red one I have have, but maybe that one is just an oddball.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I think you are searching for a hose-in-hose azalea - they look like rosebuds. Best known is Rosebud. Another is Girard Jeremiah. I have both. Girard is out of stock on them now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.