What is catching your eye right now?

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Please share some pics

This one I am really liking- Silver Moon

and also, Cathedral Windows

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Those are looking real good. :)

This always catches my eye, 'Rainforest Sunrise'. It is a great hosta that doesn't get used enough. It is very sun tolerant and slug resistant. Also it doesn't get too big, just 18 inches wide and you can put one almost anywhere that you need a splash of color.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

That looks great, VR. My Rainforest Sunrise needs to be dug up- hasn't gone past one eye in the three years I've had it now. I think I'll try it in a pot for a while.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Nice plants.

I took some pics last week in the rain or just after a rain. Will take more this week if it ever stops raining. (To be fair, it was steaming hot and no rain later last week, but I made a fast trip to Calgary for a memorial service and came back in time for more rain).

#1. 'Alligator Shoes'

#2. 'Brother Stefan'

#3. 'Charlotte's Web'

#4. 'Cherry Berry'

#5. 'Cherry Tart'

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 9:51 PM - edited because I couldn't remember which pics I had chosen

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 9:52 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Cutting Edge'

#2. 'Dorset Clown'

#3. 'Frosted Dimples'

#4. 'Ghost Spirit'

#5. 'Harpoon'

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Ice Age Trail' hasn't grown much but it has a flower bud this year.

#2. 'Invincible' - I LOVE the glossiness of the leaves at least at this time of year. It IS a slug magnet.

#3. 'Jewel of the Nile' has large gold sections I'll have to separate out next autumn, though I like it mixed in.

#4. 'Korean Snow' is a perennial favourite.

#5. 'Lakeside Mom'

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Lakeside Reflecting Glass' is new this year with its streaked leaves.

#2. 'Lovely Leila' - my own seedling, now quite mature. I've had it for several years. Don't know its heritage because the squirrels mixed up the markers on my seedlings one winter, but it MIGHT be 'June'. Have named it after a granddaughter.

#3. 'Marilyn Monroe' with her frilly leaves and slips showing.

#4. 'My Claire' - I think this one is an under-used hosta. I like it a lot. It's quite small.

#5. 'Paradise Island'

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 10:07 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Paul's Glory'

#2. 'Peppermint Ice' - mine seems to be rhizomatous. Do any of the rest of you see that characteristic?

#3. 'Pewterware' - streaked sport given to me by Sandy who used to be on DG.

#4. 'Rainbow's End' - as close as you'll get in a slug resistant hosta.

#5. 'Regal Splendor'

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

#1. 'Remember Me' finally started growing last year.

#2. my own seedling of 'Deja Blu' - has substance like leather. I think it's a keeper.

#3. another seedling worth watching. This is from 'Warwick Curtsey' and it also has substantial substance.

#4. 'Sparkler' - new this year

#5. 'Stand By Me' - also new this year

Gotta quit. It's getting late and I've got 8 am aquafit.

Slug magnet??? I'm pretty sure all your slugs have migrated to my garden, Ann!!! I particularly love Ghost Spirit...they all are looking great.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

So many pretty hostas. I think I am adding cathedral windows to the must have list - although I do not have room for one more plant!

I can't get my Rainforest Sunrise to grow either; it's on it's third location for me. I thought that I must have gotten a dud. This year I moved it to the bed where everything grows great - so if it doesn't come up better next year, I will KNOW it's a dud.

ViolaAnn: Ghost spirit is one of my favorite spring hostas - that is until the slugs/bugs get it. It is sooooo pretty and different than all others. No matter what I do they chew it to pieces every summer. But I love it for about a month. Do you do anything special to keep the chewers off of it?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for starting this post. I've been missing my hosta pic fix lately!

Rainforest Sunrise seems to be doing okay for me, though it's not a fast grower. It had one eye when I got it in 2010, two last year, and now three this year. I actually planted mine at the sunny end of a bed where it gets some midday and afternoon sun. The first flush of leaves burned in the frost and early heat this year, but otherwise, it looks good.

Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1 Autumn Frost, new this year

#2 Dixie Chickadee, third year

#3 Dragon's Eye, second year

#4 Earth Angel, second year

#5 El Nino, second year

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1 First Frost, new this year

#2 Fragrant Dream, fourth year. This hosta is always a favorite.

#3 Gold Standard, you can see a white leaf to the left

#4 Golden Tiara division just moved to more sun

#5 Halcyon, new this year

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1 Hanky Panky, third year and starting to look good

#2 Journey's End, fourth year, just moved a couple feet over to make room for Atlantis

#3 June, fourth year but first time for insect damage

#4 Krossa Regal, fourth year for mature division from my neighbor

#5 Lakeside Shore Master, fourth year

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1 Pandora's Box, second year, posing in front of Sum and Substance

#2 Paradigm, fourth year

#3 Pineapple Poll, third year

#4 Prairie Moon, second year

#5 Purple Heart, new this year

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1 Restless Sea, second year

#2 Ripple Effect, second year

#3 Sleeping Beauty, second year, hope the bunny has stopped eating it

#4 Teaspoon, second year, not regretting this one so much now

#5 Tiny Tears, third year and holding its own without being coddled

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Sagae from the front and back. Hard to believe that I bought this one as a tiny 4-inch pot in 2009, click link for that pic:
http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/si/209261/

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pictures everybody! I just bought my first Journey's End and Peppermint Ice, I hope they look as good as these in the years to come.
I really like Fragrant Dream and Earth Angel, I will have to put those on my list for next year. Also Rainbows End and Alligator Shoes are very pretty, I was going to ask about slug resistance but that has already been answered, RE was at the top of my list and should be the next Hosta I get. I really love the color. :)

Nice pics, everyone. Eleven, I think it's especially rewarding to watch a plant mature that you started with a very small one.

I just went out and dug up Rainforest Sunrise and moved Blue Sliver away from High Society, which it was crowding. RS did have very small roots- hopefully it will do better in a pot in more sun. The nursery I bought it at had some very large ones in the display areas- they were in a lot of sun, and burned to a crisp, but were big, lol

Ottawa, Canada

I enjoyed everyone's pictures. By the time I got to the garden center all the 'Rainbow's End' were gone. Boo Hoo. Some of my favorite hostas this year.

Dream Queen- top center
Blue Jay- below DQ
Aristocrat- to the right of DQ
High Society - below Aristocrat
Fantasy Island- below High Society

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

3 'Wolverine' behind 'Guacamole' . The Wolverines really took off this year and 'Guacamole's variegation started to show after I got my husband to remove some tree branches to expose her to more sun.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

Montana Aureomarginata at 12 o'clock
Striptease at 3 o'clock
and
Hanky Panky at 6 o'clock

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

Sunpower

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

I have 'Pureheart' waiting to add to these mice ("Mighty Mouse' to the left and Frosted Mouse Ears to the right) in front of 'Touch of Class'.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Blue Ivory'

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'On Stage' after rainfall

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

Niagara Falls after 4 years growth -in front of the tree.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

If you look closely at 'Regal Splendor' (flanked by 2 Krossa Regal) you will notice that I had to tear out some damaged leaves due to wilting in this heatwave.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

"Blue Mouse Ears' planted in 2007

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

My 'Pandora's Box' before the slugs get at her.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

Last hosta from my oldest hosta bed. 'Yellow River'. Gotta go and get some work done. Keep your pictures coming.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

I lied. I'm back. I had to show you how pleased I am with 'Golden Meadows' this year. She was planted in 2009. She's really robust, and has good substance. It's too bad her colour fades a bit later in the season but she's spectacular in the spring.

Thumbnail by irawon
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Irawon, go you visit GardenWeb? Go look at McTavish's "King of the Castle" post. Absolutely amazing 'Niagara Falls' in there!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0613070721897.html?5

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

irawon, your Golden Meadows is gorgeous!!

I got one in the spring and it turned dark immediately so I had to buy another one.

Ottawa, Canada

Eleven, I have been there and her NF is spectacular. Hope mine will reach its full potential in my garden some day but I doubt it because of root competition. This hosta afterall has been planted in the ground since 2007 and considering her drawbacks is doing not too badly. If you want to plant a large hosta but don't have the room, give it root competition.

Wow, Plantnutz you will have double the pleasure next spring with two GMs. I find its amazing how mature hostas differ from newly planted ones. But this one is gorgeous from the get-go.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 8:57 PM

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 3:36 AM

My Golden Meadows is still pretty light in the center. I bought it last year, and then when we got the puppy in July I sort of forgot all about the garden and really don't remember what it looked like later in the season- I am looking forward to seeing that change this year.

I love that Niagra Falls. Wish so bad I had the room for it- the form is really unique and handsome.

My hakonechloa grass is really looking good this year- I love that stuff, and I think it looks especially good in front of tall hosta.

And here is the new puppy, one year old now, looking under the skirt of the largest hosta I have- a Parhelion in the corner of the yard. No direct sun on this one- leaves are huge

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster

Darn, that was the wrong pic of the hakonechloa grass from a few weeks ago and I can't edit it. This one is from today after a rain. I like how it's starting to get a weeping look

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Ottawa, Canada

Noreaster, I too love the hachoneclea and have added it to my hosta beds. Love your puppy. My daughter just brought home a friend with her new puppy and I got to hold it. Miss our dog. Post pics of yours as much as you can.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Great pics, Irene. Thanks for sharing them. Are you around this holiday weekend? If so, I might take a ride in your direction.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.