A Happy 'Blue Monday'

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I just don't have time to deal with photos and filing into folders the pics of my hostas, much less getting them on line. I do however find the time to water them, but I have decided that I do not live in an area for growing Hostas. Anyway, I was watering them today and found this Blue Monday and thought that it looked very happy for being 'Blue' (I know it is the color of the Hosta). Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for taking the time to post a picture of your 'Blue Monday'. Very pretty and very happy and how very a propos. I checked the hosta library and was surprised to learn that the pollen parent is 'Popo'.

Xuling, is it your experience that hostas with thick substance do better in your climate than thin-substanced ones? With our recent heat wave here in zone 5b my hostas are experiencing more stress and wilting than in past years.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Good question to make me think. In general I would say yes, but a lot of it has to do with their individual placement in the garden.
A few at certain times of the year can get sunburned because I can't get the shade cloth properly placed. And sometimes I don't get sufficient water to them. Every time I water I have to dig into the soil so the water really gets to the roots. This damages the roots as well as my fingers or hand (by holding the weeder I use to dig into the soil). Xuling

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.