New Here, from San Francisco Bay Area

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi all, just joined - glad I found this place. Looks like great group of people and lots of opportunites to learn. I'm in S.F. Bay Area - not far from San Jose. I'll catch you later.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome to Davesgarden (also known as 'dg'). I used to live in Sunnyvale--loved it there!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Welcome to DG, I'm sure you'll find lots to enjoy here. I lived for many years
in Burlingame, CA and still miss it.

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

KyWoods and june_nmexico: Thanks for the welcome to DG! From what I've heard, you both live in great places to garden too - not to mention beautiful landscapes.

Never thought I'd complain about the weather in Sunnyvale, but now that I've discovered that Red Currants prefer more "chill hours" than we get here... Do either of you have any advice on how to make Red Currants prosper here, and set lots of fruit - even though we don't get enough cold hours between November and February ??

My plan for the Fall or Spring: to plant some Red Currants in my backyard, and figure out how to make sure they get enough sun, but don't wither / get scorched during the occasional really hot Summer and Fall days here. I'll most likely grow "Rovada" and "Jonkheer von Tets" varieties. Am trying to reproduce the Red Currant jam / jelly that my Grandmother made at least 50 years ago. Yum !!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Hmm, sorry, I don't know what to tell you about that. I guess there are good things about having cold winters, although I always miss no. CA every winter, lol!

Sunnyvale, CA

Hello! did you ever make your Grandma's jam!?
Also do you grow bog sage?
Cheers! my first posting to this DG!
Rosemary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.