What kind of bush?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I have a row of bushes in my yard and I have been trying to find out what kind they are, but haven't had any luck yet. I wish I had a digital to show a pic, but I don't so I hope I can describe it.

It's mature height is about 6 foot, and it has small shiny green leaves in the summer. It makes lots of berries that go from green to a very dark red, almost black right now. In the fall the leaves on this bush turn red.

I'm not sure I like this bush, as it puts out so many berries and I have these little bushes growing everywhere, in my lawn, flowerbeds and one even grew in the scoria road.

Anybody have any ideas?

Joan

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Joan
Could it be holly
Are the leaves pointed and sharp?
Its hard without a pix

Paul

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks for trying Paul, but it's not a holly. It has leaves shaped kind of like a birch, only smaller and shiny. I have no idea what it is. I hope one of these days I can borrow the digital camera from work and get a pic of it before the leaves all fall off. Maybe then someone can identify it.
Joan

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

Could it be Poison sumac?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Hi arptiger! I looked up poison sumac and that's not it either. It's not poisonous to the touch either. I mess with it all the time while digging out the volunteers and never got a rash at all. The leaves are shinier than the poison sumac too.
Joan

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Joan, you might want to check out the various varieties of viburnums, some have bright red berries, some black. In the sun the leaves do turn color and there are lots of berries.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Marcia, I'll go look them up. It's strange, because I seem to be the only one in the country with this type of bush and nobody knows what it is.
Joan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.