Special Forum Proposed for Southeast native plants

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm thinking that gardeners with an interest in native plants are likely focusing on regional plants. Therefore, I'm proposing a new forum for Southeast natives. If you're interested, note a response to this thread, and we'll see if there's enough interest to establish a new forum.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 12:35 PM

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm in!

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Would that mean you wouldn't be posting on this forum any more> :-(

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

No, 16Blue, I could post on any and all forums, but I'm thinking Minnesota is so very different from South Carolina, our native plants are a whole different selection. There's a "Carolina" forum, but those folks are not especially focusing on natives.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I am interested and I will also keep looking in on this forum.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Living in Virginia, I'm sort of on the dividing line of Northeast/Southeast. In general, I think the flora of Eastern North America are more different from Western North America than Southeastern from Northeastern. When using the USDA site the maps for many species show a swath of green to the east of the Mississippi River. Much of the flora of Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia, for example, overlap with that of Pennsylvania and New York. The major differences are with the Gulf Coast states. The flora of Flordia, as a whole, differ far more from that of North Carolina than North Carolina does from that of New York. I personally feel that separating the Southeast into its own Native Plants Forum would reduce readership, and therefore, participation. The more provencial, the more limited the educational opportunity. Think what an impact it would have on the Plant Identification Forum (and our learning) if it were broken up into regional forums.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree with greenthumb99 entirely. I very much enjoy seeing what plants are native in regions where the habitat is very different from ours here in the tidewater region of VA.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

I agree with greenthumb99, too. There already isn't much traffic in this forum, and it seems that people would be unlikely to post in more than one natives forum. And since I live in an area where the east and west flora overlap, I see a huge amount of diversity in native plants, even though I am pretty far north. And I like to be a little familiar with the local flora when I travel to other parts of the continent.

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

I like the idea of regional focus, but unfortunately I believe there really isn't enough traffic here to split it.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

It's possible that a reason for low traffic in this forum is that you have to root around a bit to find posts relative to your region. Native plants are, by their nature, regional (with overlap, to be sure), so I'd love to see the forum split into regions; or, at least NW, NE, SE, SW. I do enjoy seeing natives of other regions, also!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Sherriseden, you pose a good question. I have been wavering in my support of a new forum (I chimed in my support early) based on the thoughts shared about fragmenting a low traffic topic. If a new forum is established I will continue to watch the current forum. I live in the SE but have plants native to many, if not all, other regions of the country. You've made me wonder if general interest might increase with the addition of regional forums in addition to the current one. I don't know what would be best but I like the discussion and I like the idea of generating more interest.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I agree with those who vote Eastern versus Western as a possible breakdown.
Not that I post much, but that's my vote)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Root around??? There is a dearth of posts on this forum as it is.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

@ greenthumbs . . . but most of us living in the internet world have the attention span of a 2 year old! : ) @ black40 bean . . . how cool that you grow natives of other regions! Honestly, my garden is made up of either midwest native or, uh, China or somewhere! Yeah, this is a good rap . . .

Maybe we can ask the admins to consider?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hi guys. This sound like a good time to chime in. I don't really care if you go regional or not. Either sounds good. Id like to join in tho. I live in the Ozark mountains on 20 acres of old oak and Hickory forest. I'm always being surprised by new wild flowers here. I protect everything that comes up and have scavenged a few things to save them from new roads and such. Have been accused of marching to the beat of a differnt drummer.(edited to say...) Also can't spell worth a fig.
Vickie

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 2:31 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Welcome cando- I'm sure we're all happy to have you (If I may be so cheeky as to speak for a group that I've only lightly participated in!)

To clarify- I personally feel there is not enough activity to warrant a split.
Here as in general Plant ID, I feel it is helpful to have a hint in your thread title as to your location.

If split I would vote East V West.

greenthumb, I believe, is offline due to power outages in our area since Friday.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

East and West works for me! Admins, maybe one of you has seen this thread?

forsyth, GA(Zone 8a)

I like the Southeast concept .

I like the southeast concept also. I think this would increase the activity.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

yes

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

YES!!! I looked all over the forums to find one for weeds. Someone suggested this forum and I will now ask my question. Has anyone seen white henbit anywhere? I had 1 come up in my yard, probably the seed was dropped by a bird. I googled up "white henbit" but did not find a pure white one. I have put it in a pot and taken a picture with my old, slow camera. I have known about purple henbit and purple deadnettle for a long time. Lamium, mint family. If anyone else knows anything about this plant, please post a reply. Thanks, Luciee {;^)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Glad you got the seed. Let us know if it blooms white? I have purple henbit all over the place but have never seen a white one.
Vickie

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

cando1, I have the plant in a flowerpot and have taken a picture. When I have the roll of film developed, I will post a picture. I am hoping to get seed fron the plant. Like I say, I never have seen a white one either. Luciee {;^)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

luciee - I am looking forward to seeing your picture, but when you have it, the appropriate action would be to go to the top of the Native Plant Forum page, click on "Post a new thread" and initiate your own thread rather than inserting your plant into a thread on another topic. It will often garner more readers that way and not confuse those following the original topic of this thread.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Green, I will try to remember to do that. Luciee {;^)

Rawalpindi, Pakistan(Zone 9a)

It would be best to put your area down in the subject line so people can easily find it.
Regards,
Masud.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

THX. Luciee {;^)

Sorry luciee that was not for you.
Regards,
Masud.

Thumbnail by KAMasud
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Masud, What a gorgeous color! Is that a rose?
Vickie

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Georgeous color. What flower is it? Luciee {;^)

Bougainvillea.:)
Regards,
Masud.
Erythrina crista-galli.

Thumbnail by KAMasud Thumbnail by KAMasud
Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

THX! luciee {;^)

Any thing, just ask. greenthumb99 is correct but mistakes can be made.
Regards,
Masud.

Thumbnail by KAMasud
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Natives to the Himalayas - to Pakistan- even to Canada or Russia do not interest me because I don't have time enough to research them for someone who is FROM that region, so, no activity, I would prefer to not wade thru posts I have no clue how to. So regional would be great for me, but yes, agreed on minimal traffic to any natives forums. Xeriscaping plants are also natives - ESPECIALLY if they have a commercial value - don't believe this forum could be any more active in any changes...

Thank you very much but we can research our own plants. Basically its for those who have an interest. But you are correct. Just mark it in the subject line and people will know and not visit subjects which hold no interest. As to how to write a subject line which carries the required information, that has no interest for me.;)
Regards,
Masud.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Chuckl, some of us are less prone to single-mindedness that we understand 'we DON'T read each others minds' No matter how you twist it.

kittriana, ambiguity in a sentence can give several meanings to it which leads to flame mail. Please leave ambiguity out and write in clear plain language.
Regards,
Masud.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry, thot I was keeping my answer to you simple. Masud. In that- when we post and forget that strangers also watch to see what we are asking for with an id or picture, and that we do not read each others minds and know the information that wasn't offered. Which is of great assistance to others. No matter how you twist it (how it is offered). Does this help you Masud?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I would follow a regional forum and I also like it very much that we have posts from around the globe. I read some and skip over others.

What you write is not simple.
As to what is the problem of mentioning the area concerned in subject line instead of segregating? Segregating divides knowledge into compartments, which means knowledge is now segregated into compartments and unavailable. A concept which is a bit difficult to understand. Maybe some one more capable can elucidate in detail.
Example. I want knowledge about Philodendron/Bananas which grows all over the world. Maybe a nugget which I want is in Alaska and no body in their senses would consider Alaska as far as Philodendrons/Bananas are concerned. Now use your imagination with regards to other plants. Have a pleasant day and if you still want to continue please shift to DMail.
Regards.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.