bugs and diseases treating your plants?

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

So far, I have not had problems with insects apart of the large numbers of holes in the brug leaves. Cannot figure out what's eating the plants. The brugs seem to be blooming very happily. So I leave them alone.

Sprayed the dogwoods and peonies for powdery mildew last weekend. Three of the dogwoods had the mildew already, but the rest were still ok.

One of the vibernums has a pretty bad case of bacterial blight. The recommended treatment is copper-containing bactericides like Bonide Liquid Copper. I can get it online, but shipping will take a while. Does anybody know if any of the local stores might carry it?

Thumbnail by donnerville
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

What a weird title for the post! I put "--" between "diseases" and "treating", but they disappeared once it was posted. Now it looks like bugs and diseases are treating my plants. Oh well.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

chuckle
Thats OK, we knew what you meant.
I have Bayered my roses and a Hearts a burstin sapling that has some odd thing going on. Got the Bayer 3 in 1 at swap.
Course now I read about imidacloprid (SP???) being toxic to bees and implicated hugely now in colony collapse. I don't know if its in the Bayer.
I'm lucky to have never seen that kind of leaf on my one Viburnum. Ew.
I do have various munchings and crinklings going on here and there . This is the time to look for brown beetles eating at night. A headlamp, cup of soapy water, handpicking.

I had a bucket of water in the yard yesterday, and overnight,m had five Japanese beetles drown themselves in it. I had not noticed a single JB anywhere before that!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I have not seen Japanese beetles yet this year. Do you just leave a bucket of water in the garden to catch them? I will give it a try this weekend.

I left a bucket- just waiting to fill a watering can; no evil intent. A big white five+ gallon bucket that my neighbor shares after using the pool chemicals.
It was odd that they ended up there. Though a soapy bucket under my porch light might yield more.

And really- last year after seeing holes in peach, montauk daisy, potato...I went in the dark and was shocked ,( shocked I tell you!), at the brown beetles on leaves.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Fighting with Jbs today, blasted them with Bayer, then I'll break out the laundry bottle with a little water in the bottom, I usually knock them off into it yelling "die suckers!!!!"

I just came in from a beetle hunt. THe little brown beetles - got at least fifty. They like my Montauk daisies (chrysanthemum family) Feverfew, chrysanthemums, raspberries, (dis)Obedient plant, Centaurea montana, peach tree, some on Brunnera, some plants had just the random one beetle (spiderewort, plum). I did not get back to the vegetable garden.
There were also earwigs up on a lot of plants. I don't know what they were doing. besides looking oh so creepy.

See
http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/caps/pestInfo/asiaticGardenbtl.htm

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 10:46 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know earwigs do eat plants(to an extent) but don't they eat other bugs MORE? I thought they were more beneficial than they were destructive?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

sallyg what do your little brown beetles grow up to be? Or are they those asiatic beetles that feed at night while japanese beetles eat during the day? I hear in addition to flowers, they love all sorts of basil.

Thumbnail by coleup

Quote from coleup :
sallyg what do your little brown beetles grow up to be? Or are they those asiatic beetles that feed at night while japanese beetles eat during the day? I hear in addition to flowers, they love all sorts of basil.

They are what they grow up to be, and look just like your picture.
Yes.
I didn't find them on Perilla but the leaves look like they've been there. And my struggling Geranium pratense that was taking nicely to a new spot- gone, in a clearly bug eaten way.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

ewwww

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Goodness, Sally, you got 50?!

I was so happy to get 3 the other day! I guess I need to keep looking.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a lot of holes in my plants, too. I haven't done much about it but curse. LOL Really should get out there and spray. My daughter Jen says she has what she thinks is soft scale on her Holly bush. I haven't seen that on things other than house plants.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have some holes too, but I assumed it was slug damage. I put in a bunch of new Pulmonaria and they completely disappeared in a few weeks -- again, I assumed slugs were the culprit. Might it be this pest?

it might! Go out in the dark with a flashlight and see.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

OMG!! Fifty beetles!!! I don't think I have ever seen that many. Not that I am complainting ... ;-)

Sprayed the sick vibernum yesterday with a copper containing spray. Will do it again next week. Definitely don't want to lose the plant.

Saw the first Japanese beetle of this season yesterday.

I have used Sluggo, and it was pretty effective.

Saw a live Japanese beetle eating Virginia creeper today. I couldn't decide whether to kill the beetle lol

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Attention Hand Pickers

Tired of hand picking those voracious bugs that feed by day and night, and have few natural enimies or enviromentally safe controls?

Try vacuuming them!

Coleups testimonial:

I use a small wet/dry vac with a long extension cord and a small crevice tool end to vacuum up unwanteds like stink bugs, JBs and gypsy moth caterpillers which die in the inch or two of soapy water in the tank. Like sucking up bb s you can hear them going to meet their fate and I am playing my part in balancing the over population of invasive insects with few natural enemies while not over burdening my environs with broad spectrum chemicals and their side effects.

Oh, my vac is strong enough to get the bugs but leave the plant (except for say, roses that would have broken up with a good wind or rain anyhow)

Last summer while eliminating stink bugs looking to overwinter by landing on and climbing the west facing side of my house, I rigged up a longer hose and attached it to a long bamboo pole and found I could reach up almost 25 feet to get those that had almost reached the roof peak.

One word of caution, try not to let the water/bug slurry in the vac splash on you especially with stink bugs on board in your enthusiasm to reach for just one more!

I have also used this to vacuum up those inevitable ant colonies that love my stacked pots.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL What a great idea I would have never thought of doing something like that.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

The JBI saw last weekend flew off as soon as I touched it. A vacuum cleaner would have sucked it right up. LOL!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have used the shop vac for stink bugs and just burned the bag. It may not smell as bad with the soapy water, I'll keep that in mind. Ric
I've been picking JBs off the roses for over a week now. We get quite a few Asiatics in the pool, I guess I won't complain about having to skim them rather that having them nosh the plants. LOL

Can we get our NEEM discussion over here?
We're debating whether it needs to NOT be used in hot weather because other horticultural oils can burn the leaves when used in the sun or hot weather, if I underrstand that.
NEEM is diluted a lot, does the warning apply?

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I told the guy at the information desk at Merrified Garden Center that I had just sprayed some of my trees and shrubs for powdery mildew. He said I should not spray anything if the temperature is above 80 (or was 85?) degrees. That's just about our entire summer. I still spray tress and shrubs in the evening if the day time temperature is below 90F. Not sure if that's the right thing to do though.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes warning still applies even if diluted, cause as you know water and oil don't really mix

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, sally----

I was not even aware of this Thread----as it was not on my "watched" list....

I will continue here....later..........Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will post pictures of my sad looking Butterfly Bushes.

I just want to correct something that was mentioned on the Tropicals Thread re this.
The B.B looked like this BEFORE I sprayed them with Neem--not after.

Haven't been outside yet to check on the brugs and Tomatoes. Too hot!
What does one do on such a hot day? Why! Go shopping--of course.

Did the rounds......now will chill a bit inside--watch Dr. Phil and then go outside to water a bit.
WE NEED RAIN!!!!!

If you look close--those small yellow spots/speckles on the leaves---a sure sign of Spider Mites.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Went out and took a picture of an affected leaf on my Dr. Seuss Brug.
See the same thing??? Spider Mite "tracks"......

When you see this--you need to act fast, as a lot of damage has already been done.

Sorry! Double clicked on the same picture. is there a way to remove a picture
when it is already in the "Browse" frame????

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, thank you for the Dr Seuss picture. I will take a look at mine to see if they have the same problem.

If you do not want the picture that you have already put in the Browse field, you can highlight the text in the Browse field and use the Backspace key to get rid of it.

Yup- my butterfly bush does have spider mites. And so does one small Datura- DID, which I just put out of its misery. Why spend the next three-5 terribly hot days pampering a dying little datura full of bad bugs?

The butterfly bush at ChicFil A is beautiful and green. Not fair!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, sally! There is so much I DO NOT know......

I just live in the small world of what i do know--and what is comfortable.

Then again--I never heard of a computer until 1983. My daughter convinced me I would love
it once I had it.
Back then--I never heard of DG either...."Garden Web" was my first venture into gardening web-sites.
Never really felt at home there.....:o(

Then--someone suggested I check out DG. The rest is history.......Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SallyG---

Your Brug would have survived! Spider Mites can be washed off with a strong stream of water and some soap.
The difficulty is--that they are on the undersides of the leaves. Hard to spray!

I will not give up on my Dr. Seuss. it is the only one I have! Will do more spraying--and do some
Systemic Granules in and around the pot.n Just glad S.M. are not a "systemic" problem.

My pink NOID one has subtle signs of the S. Mites. Will have to do the same--while the plant is small--
I can hand-spray with an insect killer (with Pyrethrins) on the undersides. When they get to be 6' tall--that is a different story.

I have never had this problem to this extent. I think it HAS TO BE the warm winter and the hot weather and dryness.
Cannot keep the plants properly hydrated!!!
I have always prided myself of keeping my plants bug -free in the garden and in the house.

IF you have Ivies--watch out! Spider Mites love to go on Ivies. Since Ivies do not need to be all that
watered that often--they are magnets for S.Mites.

IF you start seeing leaves dying off--drying out---looking mottled---take the whole plant and dunk it
into a bucket of soapy water. Your tub works great too. Just put a plastic bag around the pot to hold in the soil and
dunk--dunk--up and down. Use your hands to squish and wash the plant. It won't hurt an Ivy. They are tough!
Then rinse it off--right in your shower. That should help a lot.

Well--I am going outside--to once again--soak all my beds. There go a couple of hours!!!

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I need to check mine out too. It is going great guns, no buds yet.

No worries, it was not a BRUG that I killed, those are fine. It was a DATURA seedling, grown for a friend who got too busy to want it, then stuck in the garden. Very sickly, no great loss.

I used some Bayer 3 in 1 from ssg on my Brugs

I'm at the moment glad I do not live where this thing can live
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/842/
Six inches!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That reminds me - my datura seeds did nothing.... very sad. As for the neem mixes..sadly I forgot about the heat thang and misted my 'shooting star' gardenia and lilies last night. I hate those dang mites - actually I should photograph the nasty creatures so someone can tell me what they are. All the plants look fine - bite marks here and there but nothing I can't live with. However - when I was out there attempting to get a stake in the ground to pull that gardenia up a bit (folks, I guess don't like having to walk through it...LOL) off the steps - I looked down and my feet were covered with mite like looking things....ewwww gives me goosebumps now just remembering it. Guess when I finally head out I'll see if I've burned up my plants with that misting last night...sheesh

Cross-posted w/Sally - double EWWWWWW, Sally! I'd get rid of the plumeria real quick if I couldn't get those suckers under control AND they bite!!! Nope NO thank you

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 2:06 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

ICK, 6" long!

how about these guys our troops have to deal with in the Middle East(pic from my nephew(Marine) currently serving in Afghanistan
Camel Spider

Thumbnail by flowAjen
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Special Request

Haven't heard from a number of folks that the major storm that blew through on Friday night may have impacted like ruby, aspenhill, greenthumb and pat, ssgardener, donnerville, Bec, hart, speedy and catbird to name a few...Hope they will check in soon and that they are all ok.

If any of you reading this have a way of checking in with any of the above or other DG neighbors, knowing that they may be out of power and cell phone service, please do so and convey our prayers and wishes for their well being.

You can report any weather and well being reports on our ongoing Chat thread (Your Neck of the Woods) here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268408/

Thanks,

Judy

Oh Jen, major ewwwww

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL, guess it's really easy to find them in your bed when you're sleeping like this

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.