Vole or mole? what's the diff?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Found this poor little guy drowned in our pool. can u tell what it is? tks for ur help. I don't think we're ever had either in our area. Could it be a baby squirrel? we certainly have a gillion of those rascals.

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner

hmmm, i'm feeling dense today. are u suggesting it is a baby rat? if yes, my kitty is not earning his keep, lol. also, I haven't noticed holes or tunnels in our property, which makes this more intriguing.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

DH gave it a look....he says it looks like a rat to him...maybe the cat chased it into the pool...TRYING to earn his keep. I just put those links up because they had pics of the common rodents, mole, vole, rat, squirrel....

poor kitty, I should not underestimate him, lol

thanks

Thumbnail by vossner
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I would say with gardens being tilled and fields being bush-hogged that it may have sent a few field mice and rats scurrying for cover. Please do look at the pics and let me know what ya think....and give that kitty-boy a treat...grin

Burgaw, NC(Zone 8a)

It appears to have a short tail? It's a vole.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your cat is darling. I'd give him a hug!

thank you Donna, he's a sweetie.

back to the orig. question, I started googling baby voles,moles,rats and was so grossed out by the pics,that I had to stop looking. The short tail does make it look like a newborn vole but again, we've never had vole problems at this property. rat or mouse seems more likely. yuck! i'm still grossed out by the pics.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

You're better man than I am - LOL! I coudn't bring myself to google the stuff.

Terribly off topic, here are my honies. They "parents" moved to new Zealand, so I took them.

I adore them so much that when they claimed my heated seed starting mat and lamp, I gave in!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Sulphur Springs, TX

Looks like a vole to me. We have lots in Sulphur Springs, TX. My cats love to "play" with them!

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from vossner :
poor kitty, I should not underestimate him, lol

thanks

No, don't underestimate him - he comes from good rat catching stock. I had one just like him - called him Jack - miss him dreadfully. He brought me a little treasure in the middle of the night - called at my bedroom door to tell me, I put my foot on it in the dark! Oh, the good times! LOL There was nothing left of the rat in the morning by the way! Midnight snack?

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from DonnaMack :
You're better man than I am - LOL! I coudn't bring myself to google the stuff.

Terribly off topic, here are my honies. They "parents" moved to new Zealand, so I took them.

I adore them so much that when they claimed my heated seed starting mat and lamp, I gave in!

You have a "Jackalike" too! Lucky you! He was our lucky black cat - our luck sadly changed for the worse after he died! True story!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Happily, I had known theTiny (the black American Shorhair) and Sophie (the very loud Siamese) for six years, so they accepted me as their staff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.