Pics from my garden

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I just wanted to share some recent pics of a few beds and some hosta that are standouts for me this year.

This bed in the corner is really filling out.. acutally more than full now, I'd have to say. Probably will have to thin it out somewhere next year, which is unfortunate, because I like the combos in here a lot.

2nd pic closer up.....that blue one is a noid that I always thought was Blue Cadet. But I measured, and it's already 38" wide this year. I thought BC was a small hosta?

3rd pic Spartacus, rosedale spoons, and Lily Pad

4th pic. Manhattan and Tom Schmids.

5th pic- Nearby June Moon looking really nice this year. Tropical Storm and Ripple Effect in the pots

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster

This is my largest bed.

1st pic long view shot

2nd pic - group on the left front side.

3rd pic- path up the side to the newest beds

4th and 5th pics- Liberty, behind the Aruncus

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster

Right side of that large bed

Thunderbolt and Regal Splendor, duking it out this year for top dog up there

3rd pic- Thunderbolt after a rain

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster

These are the new beds, put in last year and still in progress. I have too many in there, but the sun is so good here that I am letting things grow and then I will move them later as I need to.

2nd pic- My one hosta grouping of the same cultivar- Lakeside Beach Captain

3rd pic- bed along back fence

4th pic- Regal Splendor, my first hosta

5th pic - Parhelion, much fuller this year

Thanks for looking!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful Gardens!! In the second picture, what is the blue hosta with the light green margin. Next to the dark coral bells, right up front at the bottom next to the flowers. ( its corrugated) :)
Everything is so beautiful, I still think that might be Blue Cadet, I think it is listed as medium. Also love the grouping of Lakeside Beach Captain, do they grow well for you? Liberty is breathtaking as usual. :)

Thanks, virginarose. I think I'm just gonna call you VR now, lol. That hosta is Tokudama Flavocircinalis, and it's the smaller of the two that I have. But it has a nice wide green margin. Heatwave is the one behind it with reverse coloration.

Lakeside Beach Captain is interesting- I feel like it grew very fast, but then stalled? Unless it's done growing, which I can't imagine...I wanted them to be touching. These guys get literally no direct sun and they look great, so I would say with more light they'd do very well. I'll take another picture in a few weeks when that astilbe blooms in front of them. I like that small bed a lot- I like having a small "mass planting" in the midst of otherwise chaos out there. Speaking of which, I meant to post some of my hosta in a pot grouping I have. I have a bunch of pots over by the fence filled with ones that I don't have a permanent spot for yet. i just watch them and try decide where they should go.

Here is Spring Fling and Chain Lightning, a good grower for me...and behind that my Rodgersia is blooming- finally!- and is very lush and full this year. Love the foliage on that.

and 2nd pic is the rest of the potted goup. I am finally going to try my hand at Great Expectations. 'Faith' is the gold one in the back and I am really liking that one (new this year)

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Noreaster! I had a feeling it was some type of Tokudama. Got to get one! Don't get stressed out about the pots, they are actually the highlight of your garden. I love to look at them and love the way they bring different colors and textures into the garden. :)

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for sharing your garden - as always, it is breathtaking!

Brenda

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful! Thanks for the "tour"!

Rose

Thanks, guys!

Ottawa, Canada

Noreaster, thanks for posting pics of your gorgeous hostas. I can't wait for my "liberty' to shine like yours. You've also made me rethink not having bought 'Lakeside Beach Captain' and 'Manhatten'. 'Sparticus' and 'Rosedale Spoons' are also going on my wish list. I may extend one of my beds to accomodate them.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Heck with the hostas, I want all your rocks!!!

Doug

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

She got Tokudama and Lakeside Beach Captain at the top of my list real fast!

Heck with the hostas and the rocks, give me the flower pots!

Irawon, Manhattan is one of my top five...maybe even top three hostas in my garden. I'll post a pic of it's flowers, which will bloom soon.

I'm liking Spartacus- it's related to Sea Gulf Stream, I think, which is pretty this year even if it's assymetrical. Really nice color. I'd like to put them near each other, I think.

I get the ceramic pots at a place up here that is like a surplus store...like a Big Lots, but better. They are very reasonably priced, which is why I can't stop buying them. And the hypertufa ones I've made over the years.

Here is a pic of Sea Gulf Stream and my larger Tokudama Flavocircinalis which I absolutely love....top three, for sure

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

OMG, they are so beautiful! What is the upright blue to the left and back of Tokudama Flavocircinalis?

That's Queen of the Seas. It won't be blue much longer, however. It's one that turned green fairly early.

By the way, we are having some of your weather up her, VR - hot and humid. The other morning I was wearing jeans and jacket, and 24 hours later it was so hot I felt like I couldn't breathe! I looked at Elegans today, and saw that some of its leaves were curled and had lost their blue wax. I expect they will turn brown and die. That one gets morning sun and I guess the instant heatwave was too much....I could never garden in full sun, I swear!

Virginia Beach, VA

I noticed that your beds are weed free.I love the lay out.

Enjoyed your pix.

Bellie

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Noreaster, I thought it looked familiar and I do have QOS, hope it looks like yours real soon.
My Elegans looks horrible, I am just sick over it. I was out there watering last night at 10:00, who gardens in full sun?

Ottawa, Canada

I still have a few flower beds in full sun. The only time I enjoy gardening in them is in early spring or in the fall. Keeping them weed free is more of a chore than in my shade garden. My 'Dreamweaver' is struggling in this heat. So are some of my ferns. I made my husband turn the irrigation system on a second time late yesterday afternoon. I have some plants waiting to be planted into the ground... mature 'Regal Splendor', 'Sagae' and 'Patriot'. I snapped them up because if I hadn't they would have been gone by the time I had a spot ready for them. I also bought a new astilbe called 'Darwin's Snow Sprite'.

Ottawa, Canada

Noreaster, I meant to add that I like your 'Seagulf Stream'. I've noticed with some of my hostas like 'Dream Queen' that they become more symmetrical with age. The first pic is from 2010 and the second taken this year.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 1:26 PM

Thumbnail by irawon Thumbnail by irawon

That is lovely, Irawon. I have noticed that hosta are very polite plants in the garden- if they are planted close to an object or another plant, they sort of lean away and don't crowd the neighbors with their leaves. resulting in asymmetry sometimes.

I looked up that astilbe and it's very nice, too. I wish I had room for more astilbe! My favorite is Pink Lightning, which is just barely pink for me, but I like the droopy form. I have a row of "Sprite" in front of those Lakeside Beach Captains.

Here is another pic of Queen of the Seas for you, VR. This one took a noticeable leap this year

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Noreaster, that is very beautiful and I also love the Aruncus.

Ottawa, Canada

Your row of 'Sprite' looks lovely in front of your Beach Captains. Seems to tie the two Captains together. I'd love to see the 'Sprite' in bloom. I tried growing 'Sprite' under my weeping spruce ... without success. However, astilbe 'Perkeo' seems to be doing fine. So maybe it's not because they're not getting enough water. Maybe it's a matter of not enough light.

Irawon, I will post pics when Sprite comes into bloom, which is soon. They, and Lakeside BC get virtually no direct light....maybe the shadiest bed in the garden, under an old lilac tree. I am surprised they bloom there, but they do. Last year they got crispy on me in July- I have to remember to give ll the astilbe and Actaea lots of water.

I found a picture from last year when 'Pink Lightning' was blooming- I don't think I have as many blooms on the way this year.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for posting your pictures. Your gardens are so gorgeous!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Noreaster, your garden always looks so beautiful! Love how large and happy yours hostas look.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I wonder if my Liberty will ever look as good as yours. I got it last year and it has not grown at all. Hopefully, next year will be the 3rd year and it will leap!

Ottawa, Canada

Noreaster- Those 'Pink Lightening' look very pretty with your hostas. Thanks for the picture.

plantnutz- my Liberty didn't really start growing until a big tree fell and it got more sun. Hopefully yours will take off soon.

Thanks again, everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.