self-seeding hosta in my garden! lambertville nj

Hopewell, NJ

Found about one dozen little baby hosta growing around a variegated specimen. they're doing fine, and none are bigger than 3/4" at this point. my question is this: 3 to 4 months down the road, when things start to get cold and the mature hostas are done blooming and have faded, should i mulch them for the winter, or leave them as i leave all my other hosta - naked and unprotected for the winter?

it's very exciting as i've never had hosta self-seed, so any and all suggestions would be very appreciated :-)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

They will likely be just fine for the winter. But do keep an eye on them - you might end up with something special and you may want to just trash at least half of them.

Hopewell, NJ

thanks, viola :-) we've been to ottawa, the year that the beautiful museum of glass walls opened, and featured the 7 (or eight) famous canadian painters. beautiful city and lovely people. i think we're in zone 8 (i think) here in nj and i can't wait to see what happens next spring!

Ottawa, Canada

Parismom, I'm in zone 5b and my seedlings overwintered well in the ground last winter. I have been meaning to move them as they now have at least 3 to 4 leaves. I've delayed doing so because of the extreme heat. If I leave the transplanting too long, I may encounter winter heaving but you being in zone 8, I assume, will not have that problem.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

5b? I thought we were in zone 4b-5a?

Ottawa, Canada

5a/5b what's the difference? BUT aren't we off topic? Could d-mail the issue.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 4:21 AM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I dug up seedlings and planted them under the birch trees two years ago and this is the first year they bloomed. :)

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.