Moving Bales

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have not written anything on here for quite awhile, but have lurked. Last year I grew in containers instead of bales and tomatoes were 'ok'. This year it is split in both mediums. BUT now we are moving to AZ (5K elevation) and I have 4 bales with 8 tomato plants just starting to grow fruit. I though maybe I could divide bales in half and put each bales into a trash bag and tie it up around the tomato cage. Would it work or shall I just donate to neighbors? Plan on taking everything that is growing in pots and digging up a few things. I know to not bring citrus, palms and tropicals - probably not sub tropicals either.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

GASP!!! I knew they were strict but didn't know that. Does that mean you can't take any of your own houseplants across state line? Is it the same for CA too? I have often wondered about that.

Connie

Wake Forest, NC

Try some milk crates. Easy to tote. will hold the straw together. You can then bag the crates if u need 2. Use 2 people.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

aspen-i knew I couldn't bring those plants/trees due to being in a colder zone.

Forgot to mention my arm is in a cast to boot, lol. Nice neighbor helped dig up and pot a bunch of plants from the ground as well as separating and potting the bale plants. His reward was to be able to help himself to all those above mentioned types of plants/trees. Managed to get my pot tribe int the moving trucks, the one of the 3 26 footers lost AC going thru the desert and they had to sit in that heat 5 extra hours. Plants did better than the humans and dogs. Most actually made it and just in time for the summer monsoonal rains. Watered this AM as they are all still in pots. Had not remembered how rocky this land is here. Neighbors across the way have sandier soil, which makes it easier for the voles apparently.

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

quiltygirl
Get a kids wading pool and put the pots in with about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water. They will thrive and
will allow you to heal your arm before having to transplant.
I use a wading pool to hold my winter sprouting milk bottles. That way they get good moisture.
Paul.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Az quarantines plants coming across the state line when they know about them. especially during fruit fly season- I think hers are prob not the problem that officials are looking for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.