vine with spines id

Burgettstown, PA

hi, i live in sw pa. need an id on a vine i discovered while battling a russian olive in scrubby woods next to my property. ("woods" have sassafras, bush honeysuckle, raspberry, ash, pin cherry, wild grape, grandiflora rose, russian olive,etc.) it can climb, but is mostly on the ground. it has 5", slightly irregular, but not toothed, oval leaves with veins arranged similar to a dogwood leaf; medium green and rather tender. tendrils like a clematis at leaf axis' which are in pairs every 3-4". it has spines/thorns like a raspberry along the stem but smaller and fewer. do not know seasonal info about blooms etc. since i just saw it. searched online of course. any info appreciated!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Photos would be very helpful.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Take a look at Smilax sp. There are a number of Greenbrier vines that are native in eastern North America, and one of the main variations is the style of thorns along the stem.

Burgettstown, PA

thank you for responding. two things:1. the leaves are staggered, alternating sides at equal distance. they are not "in pairs". 2. i have a pic in my phone... not too versed as to how to get it posted.working at it..

Burgettstown, PA

here 'tis. took your advice and looked up smilax. believe you are absolutely correct. from what i read, don't want it spreading. it's just inches from the lawn.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2012 1:11 PM

Thumbnail by reeCreations
Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Also known as sawbrier. I cleaned up a patch more than 10 years ago, and have the scars to prove it. Their root system is extensive and they form tubers which get big if not dug up. Good luck. Sorry for your problem. Luciee {;^)

Burgettstown, PA

hi,
this stuff seems to be impervious to brush killer! i've hit it 3 times. but, it doesn't seem to be spreading either, so maybe it has some effect. too hard to dig it up 'cause there are too many tree roots. thanks for your concern.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

my county agent said use a strong solution of roundup and then may only get the new growth. It just about is impervious. Luciee {;^)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

There are people who have had luck with cutting the leaves off and attaching a floral pik filled with brush killer so it will feed the vine over a bit of time. Like being slowly injected- helps draw the brush killer down into the 'potato' underground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.