Has your baptisia false indigo come up by now?

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

My baptisia has not come up this year. I assume it's dead, but I seem to remember it popping up late. So I'm just checking, is everyone else's baptisia in the north up now? I think I had some voles or moles because there were some holes right near the baptisia.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mine are at least 3' tall now and even the new babies I moved last year are at 2' or more.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

thanks, that's what I thought, I think it's time to rip it out

When in doubt I visit local nurseries who grow their own plants and check the progress. Some of my heuchera have obviously not made it.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, and they are done blooming already. And everything blooms much later here than the rest of the country b/c of our cool spring weather. If yours haven't come up yet, they must be goners....sadly!

Pic from may 17

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a sorry baptisia which I planted 4 yrs ago in a forlorn corner of the yard which gets no irrigation.
I saw no trace of it, so assumed it had gone to baptisia heaven.
But last year I saw a single leaf which looked like it might be baptisia.
This year I have a single 10-inch stem.
I've heard they're tough (which is why I tried it in this location),
but this will be a pretty remarkable comeback if it makes it.
At this rate, I may not be alive to see it.
When it blooms in about 10yrs, I'll be sure to post a picture.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

So funny, weerobin. I laughed outloud reading your comment!

Scott - that sounds very much like my rose, Ebb Tide, planted in full sun. It certainly has been a challenge to allow it to grow and the bloom (singular) annually was always atop the ten inch stem. I made the decision to ditch it and it must have heard me because now I'm finally getting multiple blooms and it's about 2' tall. Perhaps before I die it will be a normal sized plant.

Edited to correct spelling.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2012 8:19 PM

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

My baptisia has bloomed and there is a bulb on it. What is that and should I just leave it there? It has really grown and multiplied this year. We have had a lot of rain in the past 2 weeks and everything is growing. My oriental lilies are blooming beautifully.

What kind of a "bulb" is growing on the baptisia?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh PIrl and Scott, you two are too funny! I am sure those plants will both shine for you before you kick the bucket!! :)

My batisia bloomed quite some time ago. It was quite a show! So pretty. Now, it has seed pods all over, but the birds eat them quickly. The same for my poppies. I was on vacation for a week and all the poppy seed pods have been picked clean. They shake the seeds onto the ground so I always have poppies. I was, however, going to collect some seed.

Just when you made plans to collect seeds Mother Nature intervened. I do have bags for seed collecting but never get around to it. I do love the baptisia seed pods now, when they're green, and then when the pods go black. It's just so unusual.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Baptisia is just a cool plant! I really like it, and mine requires no care. Those are the kinds of plants I am trying to put in my gardens these days. I am not too interested in coddling flowers anymore.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I will have to look more closely and see if the pod is a seed pod. Didn't think of that. Elaine

Maybe this photo will help you. It's the seed pod before it turns black.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Speaking of the vanishings, last year I WS'd poppies Patty's Plum and Victoria Louise and got chia pets. Carefully following a detailed post, I lovingly planted them HOS (hunk of seedlings), and they promptly disappeared. I decided I didn't care. Lo and behold, this year a single frond appeared. The labels were re-cycled long since, so I have no idea which one it is. And it won't tell me this year, either- judging by all the poppy pics on DG, it should at least have a bud by now. Maybe by the time your baptisias bloom and your Ebb Tide becomes a full-sized plan, my poppy will ID itself.

Meanwhile, it's a good thing I have a few other things going on. This is a grand old baptisia that has survived decades of neglect. It bloomed weeks ago.

Pam

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 11:58 PM

Thumbnail by Pfg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.