Repotting

Arlington, TX

Started to repot most of my CP's. Pitcher plants, no problem except they were so root bound I had to cut them out of the pots! The real pain are the VFT's. They started looking poorly this year and I realized the soil had degraded and that they had reproduced to the point of being crazy. It took me a long time to get dozens of small, med. and large plants out of one pot. I got 6 pots from 1! I just couldn't throw away the tiny ones. I still have a very large pot to divide and have no idea what I will do with all of the plants in that one. I hope they survive being transplanted in this heat. They are in the shade for a few days and then its back into full sun.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I usually repot mine when it's time to wake them up in the spring as they come out of dormancy.

That Sarracenia looks healthy!

Arlington, TX

Thats when I should have done it. But I still would have had dozens of little plantlets to deal with. I keep mine out all year so the only advantage would be cooler temps. I am hoping they have time to recover this summer.
That Judith Hindle was the first Sar. I bought many years back and I just now repotted the poor thing! I should have taken a pick, no soil just a little moss on the bottom and top and I had to cut the pot apart to get the plant out. It is a very robust grower and extremely hardy.
C

Arlington, TX

4 more Sar. repotted today. One plant looks like it still needs an even bigger pot but its roots fit nicely so it should be ok. Now I need a bigger container to soak them all in. Anyone have an old claw foot tub for sale? Or, a nice old double utility sink?
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

You sure do have a hefty knack at growing them there Sarracenias Cheryl. Awesome pictures of your stock!

Arlington, TX

They are old plants. It took them 4 years to grow that large. I bought 4 new plants this year and hope they get growing because they are pretty small now.
C

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.