OLD, NEW, BORROWED, BLUE GIFTS TO VIEW

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Joy. Maybe I can find something to 'borrow' from my parents' house. They're kind of pack rats, so they probably wouldn't even miss anything. :)

Fruity, I plan to! We may end up going to Longwood Gardens again. It's such a beautiful setup and they have so much I'd love to see again.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Just made some Peach Lemonade, OMG did it hit the spot today after being outside all morning. Oh, I missed a step, I didn't strain the peach mixture. Kinda made it a smoothy. Oops.

Peach Lemonade
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups coarsely chopped peaches
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
• 4 cups ice
• 1 peach, cut into 8 wedges

1. Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Place peach mixture in a blender; let stand for 20 minutes. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
2. Press peach mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids. Stir in lemon juice. Place 1/2 cup ice in each of 8 glasses. Pour about 2/3 cup lemonade into each glass; garnish each glass with 1 peach wedge.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Joy, you are truly evil!!!! I can't even try to make that lemonade till I get back in over a week. ACK!!! It looks sooooo good!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG, with this heat a drink like that sounds absolutely Heavenly. And add Ice Cream too, OH MY!

Take pics, Carey...lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

It is so hot! How hot is it, the ducks are panting....rofl. I was watering and one of the ducks ran over and got under the sprinkler and just stood there. Now they have a swimming pool but unless I say out there with them they won't stay there...go figure.

I had better start hunting and gathering for this swap. I have some ideas just haven't started putting the box together yet. Guess that will be my projects this week.

I just froze it till slushy and added a splash of rum last night. But ice cream works as well!!!!!!
My box is ready, just waiting for me to take to the PO. Woo Hoo!!!!! Come on guys, get brave, there is no right or wrong in this swap, just go with your gut. BTW, my borrowed is something that was left after my mom went home from the hospital. When I told her it was hers, she said it wasn't. I liked it and now am passing it along a year later. No it isn't her bedpan!

ROFLMAO

Joy

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Joy, that Peach Lemonade sounds yummy! Will have to get some peaches and give it a try :)
Oh, and Joy, your box sounds wonderful! :)
Well, have some things and ideas for my box, but still need to look for other things. Will probably have to wait til later this week when my husband can help me look around at the stores.
Michelle

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

My box went out yesterday. I spent a lot of time just spinning my wheels on this box. Now that it is gone I keep thinking,"What was I thinking!!" .
I am getting behind on my DG reading. Seems watering is my main home activity. My daughter and Son were both here the weekend. Now just daughter here. She took a turn yesterday with my sister who is on hospice at home.
Newspaper reporting rabies cases, so I guess I better take my little dog for a shot before the rabies police come around. She does stay outside, so i know she needs one.

I know what you are saying Crystal, with temps in the 100's and no rain in sight, I am harnessed to my yard plants. So many planted this spring and after losing 90% last year due to the drought, I am determined to save at least some. Most are heat tolerant and drought tolerant but only after they are established. And I feel for FL with all the rain. In TX we could have handled it, well out here in the country anyway. Houston is a swimming pool just looking for water.

I agonize after I send my boxes, always wondering why I chose what I chose. I am sure your buddy will love what you sent, after all there are no expectations so it will be great!!!!!!!

It is always good to keep rabies up to date, dogs can pick it up from many different animals, bats are a real problem, they fall to the ground in death throws and the dog thinks its a great new toy. Because they are small,the bats that is, they get eaten a lot of times so the owner never knows that the dog was bitten.Most areas offer rabies clinics where you can get your dog vaccinated for very low cost, around here it is $5.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Please forgive me but I maybe sending out my box late, just not sure. Many forest fires around me and the heat is more than I can handle, so I am limiting my outdoor treks, only moving the sprinkler about.

Joy...if you could let me know when my package is going to arrive so I can check the mailbox, til then I'm inside out of the heat and smoke from the forest fires that are so pevelant at the moment.

pix is fire on the west side of Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak is on the left in the photo, 60 miles from me, taken last night from my mailbox, 1/2 mile from home).

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday Happ! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I received my box from Goldhillal!!!!! She sent me 2 blue water globes. One is new and one is blue. Then she sent me the lovely reproduced picture that was taken from an old hand bound book - old. She also sent a Croton that was borrowed and a begonia that was borrowed. She had borrowed dirt from another pot and ended up with this plant too. lol I've done that. Thank you so much for the globes and picture and the plants will be much appreciated. It all arrived just fine short of a few broken branches on the begonia, which I will use to make NEW plants. ^_^

I have to apologize to my buddy! I am so behind on all my readings and trades I have not sent out yet. Sooooooo much watering to do! With the warm and wet spring we had, it looked like we were going to have some good moisture until at least July. WRONG My DH finished the new bed I had been whining for, and now I have all these newly planted things that have to be watered at least every other day, not to mention the other beds. My big bed out front I have a lot of new hosta and plants so it gets it on the 'off' day. Whew!

Thanks again Crystal.

Thumbnail by Crit

I have my stuff all boxed up, and it should go out tomorrow!

Love the pressies you got Crit!

Wow Patti I love the "old" picture. And water globes for this time of year, what a great idea. Good job Crystal, as always.
I know what you mean about the watering, I just ducked in from watering my front plants that aren't close to the soaker hose and got dive bombed by a hummingbird! Boy was he complaining that I had taken down the one little feeder on the porch. We aren't supposed to have any hummers this time of year, and after the drought of last year I was surprised to see some in the spring. So I came inside and made some sugar water, refilled the feeder, and took it back out. Then I realized how hot it was, or how cool I was in the house. Whew! Just need to go into the back and move a drip from one big container to another. I'm sweating already!

Joy

If you have hummers, they will be ther till late fall, keep that feeder filled and they will come!

You are so right Linda Kay. At the old farm NE of Houston, we had hundreds in the fall. I couldn't keep up with the sugar water. When we moved out here though, we were bereft of hummers for several years. Not many hummer friendly plants in pastures and overgrown woods. I really missed them and my other garden creatures. Last year after losing most everything in the drought plant wise I set up a couple feeders (as I did every year) in hopes that maybe some would try our place since food would be hard to come by. Oh my did they come! I hung every feeder I had, bought some more, and still they came. I was thrilled and hoped that we were helping them before the big flight over the water to Mexico. This spring I saw a few, but we have one little guy who apparently wants to stay. Now I hope those that stopped in last summer/fall will remember our place.

What sort of temps are you having? We are supposed to be catching a break today, only 97 instead of the 105 yesterday.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Monday was 109, Tuesday was 108, yesterday was 106... TOO HOT!!!

Today 102° | 77°

Friday 99° | 75°

Saturday 100° | 75°

Sunday 97° | 75°

Monday 97° | 77°

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268342/
Fairy and gnome swap is open for all those interested. Come and check it out.

Hi, all.
Hey, that's a clever idea, borrowing soil from one plant container for another! Crit, bet you'll have fun growing those plants :)
Michelle

Cuyahoga Heights, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi all! Looks like everyone got some great boxes! I received mine from roux crew (Joy) the other day. I was sent:

Old- Coffee Mug with pictures of watering cans

New: Pair of pruners with white ceramic (?) handles with flowers and leaves on them

Borrowed- A Succulent dish garden which is absolutely beautiful

Blue- A beautiful sky blue tin with white flowers, that has ginger snaps inside.

I will try to get pictures posted today. I have been in over my head with swaps and a new job, but I am trying to get it all caught up! To my swap partner I will get yours out next week as well ;)

Thanks again Joy! I absolutely loved everything.

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Sorry to my buddy we are going out of town early Saturday and even tho I have your swap together i don't have a box and no time to go to post office tomorrow. We leave at 7 am for fla beach vaca. I will get it in the mail when we return 7/9

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

WooHoo, RIDoodles! My package came today, and it was excellent in every way!!
I am going to try to get this pic up, but here is the list!!!!
Old-- medicine? bottle. I like these old bottles to display a single flower in.
Borrowed- necklace, we know how it is when you borrow from your sister. I haven't had a new necklace in forever!
New--Chuck Wagon CD>Did I mention I liked them? well, I do and so does hubby. great choice!!
Blue-- vase with frog in the bottom to make small arrangement in. It will be great in the half bath. I am always putting flowers in there and it will be perfect with the wallpaper!
Bonus-- Notecards from pics she took herself!! Beautiful. I use a lot of notecards . Thanks!!
AND I forgot to get these in the picture- pkg of 4 o'clock seed. The ones I have growing are solid colors, but these are varigated and called Kaleidoscope. I think if I plant now, I may see some flowers before frost!!

Thanks so much!!

Well, I have spent 45 minutes trying to add a pic and cannot find it. So... Maybe later
Suffice it to say that after I got the box, I was unloading the dishwasher and realized I was just asmilin'

Can't wait to see pictures of your goodies! Who sent your box?

Great box Crystal! Way to go Ridoodles.

Hi, all.
Neat boxes! And I like that idea of the gingersnaps in the blue tin!
My husband and I were out shopping yesterday. After deciding on my "blue" item, I commented to him that he would be spotting blue things everywhere now! LOL Hoping to get my buddy's box in the mail tomorrow or Thursday. Will let you know when it's in the mail :)
Michelle

My DC# says my box is out for delivery! Check your mailboxes, and doorsteps please?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Ah-ha! Found the picture, finally. it's a great box!!!

Thumbnail by goldhillal

Hey, the mailman rang the doorbell today... but it wasn't my box... The suspense builds! LOL Wonder who is getting the box from LK...
Michelle

Glenview, IL

Hello all you fun swappers!

I'm posting for Liz, her computer went on wayside...
Here's her note:

Thank you Linda Kay i will post as soon as my computer up

ok for my old I got a sock monkey warmer. so cute

something borrowed is a tropical material flamingo.

something blue is a cool windchime spinner

something new is a cool garden flag

love it

Thanks Judy, sorry to hear her computer is down!

Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

Crystal,
Thanks for posting happy you received the box, I am still awaiting, cant wait to post about my treets...I feel left out here, but enjoy reading everyone's gifts and joy about receiving them...
Happy 4th of July...Boom...Boom... Bang...BANG !

Thumbnail by ridoodles

I know it is hard to wait for our goodies, especially when ours has already gone out. Here's hoping that the other boxes will get in the wind soon, I did get a note saying one was ready but couldn't be mailed till the 7th and one buddy is gone on vacation. Hope everyone else is doing well and will be posting soon!

Joy

Canton, IL(Zone 5a)

I have to admit, I have been slacking on this one. I have my buddy's name and I even have a couple of the items picked out (even tho my daughter keeps trying to lay claim to them lol) but just can't seem to get motivated to finish it up in this heat! I love to include edibles in my boxes I ship when possible, but I'm afraid this might pose a bit of a problem since my favorite one to send is chocolate! I WILL get this shipped by week's end... or Tuesday...

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Long days at work haven't been able to work on my box. Plan on it this on sunday
Saturday is water garden tour in this heat! I will be shot!

Hi, all.
Well, finally found a box. Items didn't fit in the box I planned to use. So, will pack it Thursday. Should have it out by the end of the week.
Yum, chocolate... tasty :) But, yeah, that would be tricky to mail now with all the high temps around the country.
Stay cool, everyone :)
Hope everyone had a great Independence Day!
Michelle

I have successfully sent chocolate and plants in this heat. Newspaper or styrofoam works wonders for keeping the temp reasonable. For the most part mail is not left to the elements and with a little forethought it can be done easily. Chocolate goes in the center of my box wrapped in newspaper. Plants were sent in ziplocks with damp papertowels and the box filled with styrofoam popcorn. Both were labeled on the outside, chocolate was "Perishable", plants were "Live Plants".
That kept the mailman from leaving it in the sun.

Joy

Liz, I got your letter today, sure wish I could take claim to making the wind spinner, but I bought it at the hospital gift shop. They have some really nice items there. Sure hope you get your internet up soon!

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 1:07 PM

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

How embarrassing, I just got my box out to my partner today. Somehow I just couldn't get it out before vacation. Back to work today it was an avalanche but I was able to get to post office before 5:00. So if you haven't gotten your package yet, you're probably my partner! Hope you enjoy.

Hi, all.
Judy, you weren't the only one sending your box out Monday... Mine went out first thing Monday morning. So, my buddy should be watching the mail Wednesday or Thursday :)
Michelle

Thanks guys for letting folks know they should watch their mailboxes. It will be great to see the new prezzies! Don't forget to send pics! Descriptions are great but it is nice for everyone to see the gifts.

Joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.