Zone 8 plants for Fairy gardens

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I had a good friend pass a couple years ago.Just recently her husband remarried,sold their property and since his new wife doesn't garden he asked me to go get her garden art and containers because new owners didn't garden,didn't want the stuff and were fixing to have bulldozer come clear property so I wound up w/ several birdbaths and small non-working fountains. I've always wanted a container grown fairy garden and my garden club wants me to do a program on subject sometime in the future so I'd like to get 2 or 3 going for demo. I either need plants that will take some wet feet or suggestions on how to put drainage in these containers w/o busting them and low growing plants for hot,humid zone 8...sun and shade.

P

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

You might check your local plant nurseries for small/short growing species (under 6" height). I like to use ground covers, mosses, herbs (thyme, boxwood basil, golden oregano, etc.), sedums, and hens & chicks in my miniature gardens.

I bought a set of drill bits for masonry (cement, clay tile, etc.) and a set for glass at Lowe's that I use to make holes in recycled items to use for containers. You have to use water to lubricate, or maybe keep the bits cool. I add a little water in the container bottoms and place a piece of wood underneath in a bucket of water, and drill slowly. I haven't broken anything yet!

Good luck with your projects!
--
Bev

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

thanks

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi bigred, as you may have noticed I live in zone 8b. I've had great success with growing babytears as a shade ground cover. For sun I like any of the little sedums, hen and chicks, Cranesbill or thyme. The miniature daisies "Bellium minuta" grow good here.Check out www.twogreenthumbs.com for sun, shade, and indoor plants. Also check out her galleries from the main page for lots of ideas. Another good site is www.miniforest.com. They offer a wide range of trees, shrubs and groundcovers and have a great gallery too. Also, google "stepable plants".

Bev gave you great advice on drilling the holes. All I would add is my experience of taping with freezer tape the spot I'm going to drill. That seems to help keep concrete and teracotta from cracking when starting the hole. Let us know how it goes and anything we can do to help - just ask.

Glad to have you here,
Laney

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Oooh freezer tape, that's a great idea to give the bit a little traction to get started, too! Thanks Laney!

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

You're welcome very welcome Bev.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Ooh, ooh, can I send you some good low growing sedums and small succulents?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Laney,I googled Steppables but they have no plants available for mail order nor could I find any local sources but I will check out those other links...thanks again.

I can find seeds for other plants thur one of my vendors for low growing plnats for shade.

Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Lowes and HomeDepot's garden centers usually carry stepables. I live 50 miles from either one tho.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I googled them but our local ones within 25 miles aren't carrying them

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.