Got my annuals in for the front yard

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I decided to plant a lot of "pink" annuals in the front yard. Too bad it hailed before I got a picture of the flower beds. Hopefully they bounce back. It appears the flowers were shredded, but the plants seem ok. The window boxes & front planters are ok.

Thumbnail by joannabanana Thumbnail by joannabanana Thumbnail by joannabanana
Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Lovely - always enjoy seeing your garden :) Wish I had your talent with petunias!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Love your trees. We do not have those type of trees. Also those clouds are beautiful. We do not get many clouds either. Mostly not enough humidity of form clouds.

I have lousy luck with petunias. Some little worms keep eating the blooms. And I do not use pesticides so I just need to give up and move on to another annual.

Thanks for sharing....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It has been raining here everyday for weeks. Here's some views from inside. The window boxes are doing well.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 3:02 PM

Thumbnail by joannabanana Thumbnail by joannabanana Thumbnail by joannabanana Thumbnail by joannabanana Thumbnail by joannabanana
Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Your lovely garden inspired me to start some tidal wave & shock wave petunias. Do they need to be pinched back as seedlings for fullness? Mine are about 4-5" and starting to flower. Any advice for a newbie?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I've never pinched them. If you do pinch them, it will take about 4 weeks to get another flower. I'm not experience with growing petunias in Florida, but I think they don't handle the heat well. Not sure what to tell you.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

You're correct in that our summers are pretty tough on them. I recently picked up several pitiful supertunia plants on Lowe's clearance rack (White Russian and Pretty Much Picasso) that I'm babying along. Our rains from tropical storm Debby has beaten them up a bit.

However, I've had good luck in fall/early winter with petunias (although we do get frosts in Jan/Feb), but there's usually not much of a selection around here, hence the try with seed. I should probably try seeding again around the end of July to get some fall petunias if these don't survive in the heat. Thanks for advice on no pinching - growing from seed is all new to me!

Here's one I did from plants a few years back that I *thought* were killed off by a freak early frost. Gave it a haircut & it came back beautifully!

Thumbnail by denisemb
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I love your basket!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's what the garden looks like this week. I created a photo album the other day.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.502524556441001.29728398.100000503843088&type=3&l=ac1bee68b3

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Joanna, beautiful. I am in envy of your petunias. Here, they just fry. All of your containers are outstanding. Sharon

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Joanna, can I come live in your yard?!? So gorgeous. Well done!

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful, Joanna, as always. Mine did not do well this year. I think it was the heat.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks everyone. We had a cold wet May & June, so everything really took off the last few weeks.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Time for an update, Joanna. :) I need a petunia fix!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I just gave "piccaso" a good hair cut yesterday. It was my first year to have this variety, but I don't think I'll buy it again..I think I suggest trimming it regularly because it kept growing but never bushed out..Maybe start early pinching or cutting it back to make it bush out, otherwise, it droops from the weight of its flowers. I guess I mean cascading over the side of the container.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL denisemb!!

Hope this link to my album works. We had a bad hail storm on July 31, but everything bounced back

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.515269665166490.29732563.100000503843088&type=1&l=b63130fbf6

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

So lush and lovely. :) Thank you, Joanna!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I just pulled my trailing petunias, they looked kind of dead, but my Angelonias and red salvias are doing very well. Finnaly my fathers favorite flower, straw flower, put out the first blooms, I groo them from seed, and I guess I have started late. Color called Neon, it is getting taller then I remember from back home. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I usually start some strawflowers from seed, but didn't get around to it this year. I did buy one plant and it is a short variety. My kid calls them the pretend flowers since they don't seem real and the petals are stiff

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.