Summer Container Gardening

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Various flowers in a bowl display. Following pix are the pics. from which these flowers originated. 1.) Blue Sky vine, 2.)'Cherry Jubilee' Mandavella. 3.) 'Dwarf Pink Singapore' plumeria, and finally the dark pink NOID plumera.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My front porch container.Its a blaaaahhhh as far as I am concerned.The annuals didnt hold up so next year I will try million bells.

I will post the album because I cand post images in a edit.
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49324e5455354e54593d0d0a&blogview=true

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 7:23 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

here is the deck
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49324e5459304e44413d0d0a&blogview=true

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, there are some great combos you've put together there, Jo Ann! Thank you for sharing. Some of my tropical collections which are highlights of the garden during summer time.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

looking great

Lake Stevens, WA

Have been lurking here but thought I would post a few of mine. Love all your pictures.

Thumbnail by springcolor Thumbnail by springcolor
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome to the thread, springcolor. Very nice combos you've got. Here comes the second wave of Angel trumpets for the season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful,wish they would fit in here.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Queen Emma' in bloom. It's said to be hardy up to zone 8a. I tried one bulb in the garden, though it didn't make it outdoor. I kept these in container culture and had success.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

SO pretty, Kim!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene, the beauty of the "queen" is ... she was only begun. After some rain this afternoon, more buds unfurled; and here she's!

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

Just wonderful, Kim. You have very lovely plants in your garden.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Really beautiful.I have never seen anything like it.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks to both Arlene and Jo Anne, the Queen really shines this morning! Jo Ann here is pf for Queen Emma. The container culture is very easily cared for. I've several bulbs in this group. Should they decide to bloom all at once one of these days, they would be spectacular! BTW, did I mention of the fragrant? It's such a delight!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90355/

Fragrant, too! How lucky can you get?

It reminds me of a fantasy flower someone might draw but you have the real thing. Please add your photos to PF.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene, I'll find time to do so later on. Have a great week, be back soon.

We always look forward to your beautiful plants, Kim. Keep those photos coming.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I saw the turtle Lily, I saw it before and could swear I posted afterwards, but don't see my post.

Love how beautiful the flowers are looking. The Queen Emma is just amazing. What a nice plant to have in the garden.

Springcolor, love those colorful containers.

My wonderful Aunt Phurby passed away this past month, she was 93 and lived a full life at home until her last days. She was a gardener and my mentor. I'm happy to have some items that were in her garden now in mine to carry on her love of gardening.

I found a few old galvanized metal watering cans around her garden, although they have a few rusty hole in the bottom they make nice for nice garden decor.

A very heavy cement birdbath, she has had this for as long as I can remember.

A nice strawberry pot, was very neglected but it does have some succulents still in it, with some love and tender care it ought to come back nicely.

Some more succulents, one she gave me years ago, the other I found hidden in some bushes in her garden.

She painted this vintage metal ash bucket a pretty pink, looks nice on my yellow chair I found at a garage sale for two bucks.

Now I can walk around my garden and always see her treasures...and hold a place in my heart for her always. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

You are blessed to have had such a loving aunt to also be your mentor. Having plants, pots and memories of her in your garden is a wonderful tribute to her.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

May I echo Arlene's statement above? Sherri, you're so blessed to have had shared some wonderful time and inherited your aunt Phurby's love of gardening... thank you, for sharing a little bit of you among us.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I am so impressed with everyone's efforts. All your choices of plant combinations are so interesting and pretty, I cannot single anyone out! You are all so creative, and I hope you get to over-wintre at least some of them.

No matter how long we do this, we always have so much to learn from one another. I love recycling ideas.

Marcia

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My most reliebale container flower is the Penta. I have 3 defferent colors and they all doing good, the three day of rain helped a lot. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

It's beautiful. I had one in pink but it didn't survive indoors over the winter.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a great look.I will add it to my wishlist.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I raise my Tersa sphinx on my Pentas. They do grow reliably here. Luckily our local nurseries stock them in abundant. Thanks kiseta for the added photo.
Other container blooms in the garden; Nelly Moser clematis, Blue sky vine bloom among pink Alamanda blossoms. The 3rd pix there is a Penta rejuvinated itself after last brood of Tersa sphinx successfully pupated. Within the pic. are Gloriosa lilium in blooms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

The pentas do grow quite large. It's a great late summer/early fall plant here.

Love your photos, Kim. Nelly always looks good and your blue sky vine with your alamanda is lovely. Isn't it amazing how fast plants can recover? Gloriosa lilies are so exotic looking. Many years I miss the blooms here because, once the lilies are done, I seldom visit that garden. I should move them!

Pentas re-seed in my garden, they pop up in planters all on their own. I have the best luck with bright deep pink and reds. They are so liked by the butterflies.

Hey Lily be safe with this storm heading that way.

Some more of my container plants.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sunkissed: I like your containers.There are times I wish I lived in the tropical zone just so I wouldnt need to bring in the succulents for winter.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes Jo Anne, let's move to Florida near sunkissed. :)

Hey Sherri, I'm keeping a close watch on that storm Isaac. Thanks for the well wishes.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, this is a gorgeous thread! How have I missed it??
I'm going to have to start spending a little time here, even if I mostly lurk!

Very happy to see your lovely pics again, Kim! What is that first bloom? It reminds me of a child's pinwheel, but much more beautiful.

Please stay safe any of you near the path of Isaac!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks n.a.n. The first 2 are those of Plumerias. Their tags faded so I don't know what the individual cultivar of each. The last 2 as you regconized, brugmansias.

1. Gloriosa lilies
2. Another NOID (NO I. D.) plumeria

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Gloriosa's are glorious! How tall do they grow?

Marcia

Hurray for your success with the posting of photos, Kim. We were all with you in spirit. Love that Gloriosa Lily!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Arlene, I'm so glad you were there offering me support. I was really stressed out there for the duration. Now that I am back, and learned new skills. I feel or so much better. Thanks again for your support. Marcia, the Gloriosa lilium are vine-like in growing habit. For me it's growing to roughly 4-5 feet stretch. But ask Jmorth, his must grow to be about 7-8 feet tall! He's magic in the soil ya know? LOL

We can only try to help one another when a computer crises arises, Kim. It's maddening to the max and reminds me of Gibbs on NCIS when time was exceedingly short to eliminate a threat the computer posed so he shot it and then shot a lot more of them. That's what I feel like doing but I don't have a gun. Maybe that works best or who know what could happen! LOL

Jmorth (Jack) does have the most spectacular Gloriosa lilies. I'll try to find a link for Marcia. They are breathtaking.

I found jmorth's blog: http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/jmorth/1788/

Be sure to enlarge the photo where he mentions the Frank Lloyd Wright trellis: it's gorgeous.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, Arlene, those tall ones really are breathtaking! Kim, even with only seeing bits and pieces of your garden, it looks like a tropical paradise!!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

His Gloriosas are truly glorious. I wonder if he leaves them to overwinter outdoors in milder Texas winters.

Well hate to inform you all but here in Central FL we still have to protect the succulents and tropicals. You have to move even further down south than where I am to avoid that. Every year I promise to stop potting tropicals that can't take freezes and yet every year we lug more into the Florida room...when will I learn?

Hope Lily is okay...not liking the floods I see on TV.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Sunkissed, I'm guessing you still have a shorter cold season. Ours can be as early as mid-September and as late as mid-May.

Marcia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.