Summer Container Gardening

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome to my garden in the summer time. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241986/
It has been a pleasant spring in the garden, our container gardening is transitioning from a mild spring into a warmer months. I'm pleased you're here to enjoy the garden along with me. Everyone is welcome.

#1 Container in the shade.
#2 Container grown in the sun.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lily_love,
What is the red/white flower in your sun shot?

Here's a shot of my window boxes in the front yard. Went with pink & white this year for the front yard and lavender with dark purple & burgundy for the back yard.
We got hit with hail yesterday so the barrels look a bit ruff

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 6:56 AM

Thumbnail by joannabanana Thumbnail by joannabanana
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Joanna, welcome to the thread. I like those combos from your front yard. I can't see the purple & burgundy well from the photos. The big flower in my sun shot is a Pipevine. Here is the vine from DG's pf. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56130/

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Pipevine from another vantage point. The Canna is tropicana 'Phasion' and the lilium is Tiger lily.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The 'Blue butterfly' plant official name escaped me, it's a type clerodandron? The latter is Hoya blooms.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The plumeria inflo. just about to open today. Next is bush morning glory, a tender perennials in pot culture. Both of these need winter protection where I'm.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mexican petunia. These make gallion of seeds thus could be very trouble some in our mild climate. I pick the seedpods when they're young to eliminate future invasive problem. These come in two attractive hues, one is pink, the other is deep blue.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The plumeria inflo. today;

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Other tender/tropical perennials in containers;

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The weather is really getting hot! Some of these hanging baskets require water twice daily.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some more of the tropical/tender perennials in bloom.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

others ...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Desert Rose first bloom in the season among other tender perennials in containers culture.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

After MEM brug. First bloom for the season, it's getting ready to send out its first flush of blooms for the season. If one can only have one brug, MEM is the one to have!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, I spoke to soon about MEM, okay okay, one can have at least two brug. This one is another must have. ^ ^_^ ^

1st pix is MEM, 2nd pix is another cultivar.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Every year, I try to bring back a little bit of what were ... in the garden the preceeding year. I don't usually succeed, for time changes, so does the garden. For instance, I most enjoyed these Gloriosa lilies bloom this time every summer. This spring I tried to dublicate the same condition...or at least the same location for the vines to repeat their performance. Little did I noticed that although, the same location but other plants in the area were taking up all the sunshine here in this spot. As a result; the tubers refused to break dormancy. As of last month, I noticed a 'puny' sprout of Gloriosa. Not until then I realized I wasn't going to have these glorious blooms for this year as I did in years past.

So I de-clutter the pots, rid off the shading plants and moved the Lilies container into a full sun position. As of now, I've new sprouting -- but not as they were last year. Here is a pix of the lilies last June. (the large pink flower is Lotus blossom).

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 7:09 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One has got to love 'Miss Emily Mckenzie' (MEM) brugmansia. Here she's today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A different view of this flush of blooms. Fragrant emits mostly from evening to early morning hours.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pandora vine's initial blooms for the season;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lots of trumpets shape flowers, here is the Desert Rose;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Blue Skyvine, the color is enhanced with the heat wave. Earlier blooms were a lighter blue.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nice blue, Kim. It appears to be periwinkle blue to me. Nice and cool looking on these hot summer days.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome to the thread Arlene, how is the heat wave affecting your garden up there? Hope all is well with you and yours.

#1, Padora vine's blossoms and friend.
#2, Sherri, this is for you. ^^_^^

Kim - your containers and blossoms are wonderful. It's too hot here for me! The gardens are fine and I do go out to take photos but otherwise I stay in the AC.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lipstick vine 1st buds. Or Aeschynanthus hybrid. Stay cool Arlene and those of us on the path of this heat wave. Arlene, it's way toooo hot down here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

What an almost magical looking flower that one is!

I managed to stay out for 30 minutes today, mostly taking photos. I'm hoping this heat wave breaks tomorrow but I don't want rain on the local 4th of July parade.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Happy 4th everyone! Hope the weather will be nice there in NY for the parade Arlene. 1) The same 'Lipstick' plant or vine when it's fully open. Its currious calyx holding the red bud looks just like our lipsticks...but lipsticks resemblance ceases when it opens up. lol It's tropical in nature.

2) Angel trumpet blooms enjoy the cool breeze of the early morning hours. Our temp. is said to be in the 98F. max today.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Best of my deck is in thei album
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a497a4e5441354f444d3d0d0a&blogview=true

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh Jo Anne! That's one terrific way to celebrate July 4th. Beautifully done, and all of my fav. flowers!!! Thank you for sharing them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I must make notes on the best combos.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I hope that everyone have had a nice Holiday, and returned to gardening. Here is 'Cherry Jubilee' Allamanda today. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/285563/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Of the 'Football Lily' All the potential seedpod, only a few made it.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Allamanda blooms and 'Football' lily seedpod. 3rd pix is Jatropa seedpod.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The plumeria today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lotus bloom this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

1. Morning air is cool and nice; the peaceful bee is still snoozing on Lotus blossom before the busy day ahead.
2. Porterweed and friend.
3. Plumeria blooms.
4. 'Friendship plant' putting out new inflo. in the middle of summer. Kind of unusual, normally these will send out flowers during the winter/early spring or cool autumn, but summer? This is the first for me.

* All but #2 are in container culture.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lovely, as always, Kim. I feel more like the sleepy bee today.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've morning likes it too Arlene. This little Blue bird is whispering; it's a beautiful day! Hoping you'll have a good day in the garden. Or just simply enjoy the view from indoor for it's going to be another hot day out there.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Friendship plant today;

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.