Info needed

Melbourne, FL

Just a question for the Daylily experts out there. I get these segments on my plants sometimes. Are they able to be rooted for new plants if taken off the main plant?

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Normal, IL

you'll find prior discussions in davesgarden re proflifs/proliferations. Search on either.

Yes, just like the houseplant spider plants, cut 'em off to root as a new plant.

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955
(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

Those are proliferations. Leave them on the scape as long as possible so it can get some goid roots forming. I leave mine on there until the scape starts turning brown and dying. When you cut them off leave about 3 or 4 inches of the scape above and below the proliferation. This will help keep it stabe in the soil until it can get rooted. Sometimes mine will actually grow a scape and bloom while it's still on the scape.
Once planted they may wither down and you may think they have died but that's usually just the foliage and the roots are going strong. The foliage will start growing back.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks so much for the information.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

onegoodman55 - what is the name of the DL in your photo? it is quite lovely...........

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, those are proliferations.

That DL looks like STARTLE to me. Sure looks pretty. I have it, and it's usually so damaged by thrips and looks awful. Last year I finally got some decent blooms on it. I'm spraying for thrips this year.

Karen

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

If you click on the photo to enlarge it it has MORT MORSS written on it so I would think it's safe to assume that's what it is.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

oh, thanks.... I didn't enlarge and couldn't read that until I did............

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I see that now. Sure is a gorgeous one!

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.