How is everybody? And gourding getting done?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi! I planted some long-neck gourds several weeks ago and the plants are FINALLY going to town. I hope I will be harvesting lots of them; I haven't grown gourds in a couple of years. My other news is that I finally got a back porch! Okay, it is a covered patio, but I like the thought of a porch so that is what I'm calling it. The gourd part of that is: now I have a place to work on my gourds! So far I have been doing the dusty work in the garage, and it is usually far too hot to do it. So I have set up my worktable on the porch and hopefully will be getting artistic soon.

Anybody else have news or progress? Gourdbeader, are you working on another masterpiece? Jo, are you home and feeling well?

Decatur, GA

Sounds great brigidlily.
I am not growing gourds this year since I still have a bunch hanging around in the yard and basement. I will be retiring very soon and hope to get busy with some of them.
I do my work in the basement. Georgia weather just isn't good enough for have an outside work area - either too cold or too hot and muggy.
How about a picture of you porch and gourd vine?
Helen

Crossville, TN

I'm not growing any either...but attending our Gourmet' gourders meetings once a month.

I'm still fighting this blood pressure thing...up and down!!

Bridg...share some pictures of your gourds. Jo

Vandalia, IL

hello gourd growers. some day i hope to decorate them, but for now I just grow them and this year finally sold some..thanks to road runner, I had some really nice large ones ,,and many others shapes, snake ,swan, and bird house,,big and small..they had been dry for a good full year, and sold them for $1.00,,except the large ones were $5.00..I was tickled to death! It was fun to get paid to do what you love to do anyway! stay well roadrunner! dee:)

Crossville, TN

Why was it "thanks to roadrunner"?....if that is so where is my cut??? LOL Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And I am still "meaning to" get back to making things with gourds. I still love my new back porch, but so do the chickens, and the chickens are not entirely careful where they poop, so the guy who built the porch is now working on screening it in. May tick the chickens off, but I'll be able to walk barefoot on my porch again! 8-)

On the vine, there is one pretty big one going strong, and I have just noticed several little ones. I probably have enough warm weather left to get them harvestable. Just need some inspiration to get in and do something with them! Will post pictures after I remember to recharge the battery for the camera...

I started the thread... do I get a cut too? ;)

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Hiya!
So, This year was my first attept at growing gourds. I had 6 birdhouse/bottle gourd plants that grew really well and gave me 3 decent size gourds and 4 smallish ones. I know to leave them til the vines die, but all of a sudden the leaves got spotty and shrivelled. It seems too early since it is still summer. I had cukes in the same raised bed box and they just gave up the ghost too. I dont use chemicals so maybe a disease? I did have a brief bug problem, some unidentified white bugs with black legs and antennae, but they disappeared with little damage. Anyhoo, The larger gourds had stopped growing before the leaves quit but not the little guys. I am worried that they will rot. Should i just leave everything out there and hope for the best or what? they are noticeably lighter weight than they were a few days ago. I really enjoyed growing these gourds and will add them into the regular rotation of the garden. The flowers are so lovely at night and draw some pretty moths. If I get 1 or 2 useable gourds i will be thrilled...but would like to salvage all I can. Any advice? I want to make some birdhouses after the drying/curing process.

Crossville, TN

Bless the moths!! They are the only things that pollinate gourds...I'd leave the gourds in the garden for a while....maybe put pieces of cardboard or something under each one to keep the bottoms nice. Jo

Decatur, GA

scarletbean,
I would just leave it all alone. But I don't know if thats the best thing to do!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

If it were me, I would leave them be and let nature take its course. There is not much you can do that I know of, anyway! Chances are they will mature, though the little ones may not be as thick-shelled as you'd like. I have several long-necked gourds growing, and I am trusting there is enough summer left to get them finished. I would be very surprised if there is not!

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the advice. I am glad that the best thing to do is nothing. This solution really appeals to the lazy part of me...that is the largest part! If i get one useable gourd, i will be happy.
Who is doing gourd art stuff lately? lets see some pics of work or ideas or a garden gourd patch anyone had over the summer.....I am interested in what has inspired all y'all.

Vandalia, IL

thanks to jo,cause she sent me seeds, and posted the great pictures of the huge gourd,,which got me all excited! now I grow all kinds and think of the day ,,some day,,,ill get one of the huge gourds...id be happy to give you a cut or send you a thank you by way of plants if you need anything..youve always have been helpful :) and thanks for being a thread starter,,anything you all would like let share, me know,,like iris ,daylilies.:)

Thumbnail by d_lilly
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Here is some pictures of some of my gourds I've decorated. I did not grow these. There is a lady that comes to town every Oct and I buy from her.

Thumbnail by marti001 Thumbnail by marti001 Thumbnail by marti001 Thumbnail by marti001
Decatur, GA

Nice.
Heres one I did several years ago.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Vandalia, IL

hope we have a late freeze

Thumbnail by d_lilly
Crossville, TN

Helen, Is that a Pumpkin? D, I think if you do have a frost that they are far enough along that they will survive. nice crop. Jo

Decatur, GA

It a gourd.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I have lots of dried gourds and am now starting to decorate them. I need to get some ready for shipping to Florida and I need some for my trees so in the spring the birds will have a place to nest.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Just finished a birdhouse gourd. What do you think? Will the birds love it?

Thumbnail by marti001
Crossville, TN

If they don't I do.....

I've been too busy with a Silent Auction to work on gourds....ordid get to count up how many items I have collected for the sale (Nov. 10th)....so far 18 items with more promised. Our Senior's Group at church hold a Craft Fair each year and last year Mr. Blumer & I were in charge of the Silent Auction....We made $535.00....that was more than the food section and the booth rental combined....now I think we are stuck with the job each year!! Jo

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

How about I get the gourd ready and ship it to you for you to sell at your Church?

Crossville, TN

Why that would be lovely~~!! I START ALL BIDS AT $10.00~! I am in the address exchange. Jo

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello all,
Marti... what a lovely design! Is that a stencil? I am so excited to start my birdie houses that I am having a hard time waiting for the gourds I grew to dry!!! Well, I have enough on the table with regular life and the fall work on the yard and garden that I am sure that once winter is at its worst I will be grateful for something to do. I hope the gourds will be ready then. Anyone know if I should wait til frost to bring the gourds in? I have 4 in the garden that are just sitting. All the vines are dead dead dead. They feel pretty heavy so I dont know what to do.
Road runner, hope you make a mint at the silent auction!

Crossville, TN

Donated items are coming in nicely....some of them I want to bid on!! Jo

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I traced this pattern onto the gourd. Usually I free draw them, but wanted to try this design.

roadrunner, I have your gourd boxed and ready to ship as soon as my check gets here on Oct 17th. I hope that it will get to you in time for your auction. I'll ship sooner if I can talk my sister into the postage money.

I am working on 6 other gourds at this time. They will be different. I plan to do one with sunflowers on it.

Crossville, TN

Gee...Thanks!! You have plenty of time....until Nov. 10th.

I am copying one of yours....quilting squares decoupaged to the gourd...it's not finished yet as "life" intervened. LOL Jo

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

That's great! Be sure and post a picture when your done, so we can see how you did!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.