Kitty & Cocoa 16 - Slumber Party

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing saga of Kitty & Cocoa, two former strays and now pets. This thread series began some 2.5yrs ago when a then 1/2 wild Kitty showed up at my door, emaciated and homeless, with 2 small kittens at her side. As she stood there quivering beneath a shrub at my front door, she hissed at me, unsure weather to seek my help or fight to defend herself and her kitten. She had been living on the streets for who knows how long and had grown fearful of all humans, and now she had 2 kittens which she had raised in the wild with no human contact at all.

I started this series then to discuss Kitty and her 2 kittens and the events surrounding my efforts to interact with them. In time I decided to adopt Kitty. One of the two kittens died after being struck by a car. The other, which I ultimately named Cocoa, remained wild. Back then he would only venture out of hiding at night in search of food. I fed him, but he would not come to me. I had him neutered via the county's TNR (trap, neuter, release) program and had to cage trap him for that.

Then one morning as I was walking my dog, I heard a cat meow and turned around to see the then mid sized, black kitten following along behind us on the sidewalk. Alone, his brother dead and his mother no longer willing to care for him, he had somehow decided that he wanted to be part of our family after all. I was very touched that day to see him feral and afraid, but nonetheless following us like a pet that day. It was a while still before he would actually let me touch him, but slowly Cocoa became a full member of the family - although he remains absolutely terrified of all other humans.

The two cats, while actually mother and son, have never been happy about living together, at least not since Cocoa was weaned. These days the two cats have ongoing jealousy issues despite my best efforts at harmony. And the story goes on...

Prior thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1226854/

Below is a picture from a few years ago of Kitty napping on Widget's (my little maltese) bed. (Widget's bed, btw, is at the bottom corner of my bed. Yes, he actually believes he needs a bed to sleep in the bed.)

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
This thread has 218 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!